• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog Law in state of TX.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crg2344

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.
In the state of Texas, can animal control qurentine a dog if he injured his own owner, but the owner of the dog being qurentined, Knowingly knew the danger of breaking up a dog fight, and preceded to put their selves in that situation. By doing this the owener suffered a sprang wrist and a slight break in skin. Owener cleaned break in skin, but went to Doctor for sprang wrist not knowing he would call Animal Control by telling him what happened. Animal control arrived and took my statement and partners stament, both stating the exact same facts, as well both of us stating we knew the risk and we both knewingly took the risk knowing the possible outcome. We Did NOT want our dog being qurentined nor asked for out dog to be. Animal control gave us a opportunity to qurentine our dog at home and we said yes. They needed to verify Vacc. Records. Told them our vet and they called but could find no record of Vacc. So they told my partner that the dog needed to be brought to the pound for a 10 day qurentine, to observe any possible disease the dog my excibt if any. After 10 days we could pay all fees and get our dog back. But my question is can they do this if we are not the ones who call Animal Control and we both knowingly put ourselves in the situation to begin with?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.
In the state of Texas, can animal control qurentine a dog if he injured his own owner, but the owner of the dog being qurentined, Knowingly knew the danger of breaking up a dog fight, and preceded to put their selves in that situation. By doing this the owener suffered a sprang wrist and a slight break in skin. Owener cleaned break in skin, but went to Doctor for sprang wrist not knowing he would call Animal Control by telling him what happened. Animal control arrived and took my statement and partners stament, both stating the exact same facts, as well both of us stating we knew the risk and we both knewingly took the risk knowing the possible outcome. We Did NOT want our dog being qurentined nor asked for out dog to be. Animal control gave us a opportunity to qurentine our dog at home and we said yes. They needed to verify Vacc. Records. Told them our vet and they called but could find no record of Vacc. So they told my partner that the dog needed to be brought to the pound for a 10 day qurentine, to observe any possible disease the dog my excibt if any. After 10 days we could pay all fees and get our dog back. But my question is can they do this if we are not the ones who call Animal Control and we both knowingly put ourselves in the situation to begin with?
Yes, it is legal to quarantine an animal that has bitten someone if there is no proof that the animal has been vaccinated.

adjusterjack

They needed to verify Vacc. Records. Told them our vet and they called but could find no record of Vacc.
There's a life lesson about keeping proper records.

If you did get your dog vaccinated, the vet gave you a receipt for the money you paid and it showed what vaccinations you paid for.

What did you do with the receipt?

Crg2344

There's a life lesson about keeping proper records.

If you did get your dog vaccinated, the vet gave you a receipt for the money you paid and it showed what vaccinations you paid for.

What did you do with the receipt?

Yes, unfortunately learning the hard way.We are currently looking threw our files, as it is taking a lot longer than we were hoping due to our recent move and they are in several different boxes. but yes you are right about keeping proper documentation, that is completely our fault and we totally understand they have a job to do as well, we honestly just didn't know.
Thank you for response very much appreciated

quincy

Thank you for your response,we very much appreciate it.
You're welcome, Crg2344. I hope you are reunited with your dog soon.

Here, by the way, is a link to the law (you might want to read Section 826.022 on the criminal penalties for failure to vaccinate - not that this necessarily applies to you, but it is good reason to keep good records of vaccinations :)):

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/HS/htm/HS.826.htm

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">