• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional and Financial Distress Lawsuit Against Me..Feasible?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Swirv02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Hello everyone – please bear w/ me on this; I understand it is long, but I wanted to make sure I include as much pertinent information as possible to get a good answer(s). I greatly appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

So here it is:

Sometime in early 2009, I began having a relationship with a married woman. She started out as a friend that I have known since we were 18; we were 24/25 when we began to be more intimate. It all started when she came over during the week to vent to me about her husband. Telling me how they aren’t working out, that she isn’t happy and that they are having a lot of problems. I initially told her that it isn’t my place to give her marital advice but I said that I think she needed to work on things with him. To make things better, go to counseling etc. She insisted that they have been going to counseling for a while now. A few months pass by and we have been even closer friends, we are spending a lot of time together and feelings start to develop. I previously had met her Husband and we weren’t by any means friends, but we all went out maybe a handful of times. They have two children together.

In March of 2009 my so called best friend decided to call and tell her husband about us. Things got way out of hand. We were both devastated and we tried to end things so she could work on her marriage. We tried on numerous occasions, but we weren’t able to stay away from one another. She began to tell me that she wants to leave her husband and that she wants to be with me and spend her life w/ me. I won’t lie, I felt the same way. However, I specifically told her on several occasions to make sure that this is the decision that SHE wants to make. To not make this decision based on the success of our relationship because neither of us knows what will happen in the future.

A year or so passes by and she moves out with the kids. We ended up leasing a Townhome together and we were living there. Nearing the move, I actually was introduced back to her husband. I helped them move things out. We were cordial and civil and things were fine between him and me. So now she, I, and her boys live in the same house, and the husband (they were separated at this point) lived w/ his parents.

Fast forward to April of 2011, we have been living in the house since October of 2010. Her husband is getting all of his wisdom teeth pulled out, so she asked me if I would mind if he stayed at the house for a week or two till he heals fully. She also said that she feels it is necessary that she speaks w/ her husband about them divorcing and how to break it to the kids. I agree and decide to stay at a friend’s house for the time being. Well 2 weeks turned into 9 months of me living on my friends couch while he stayed at my house w/ her….During this time I was at the house every night, but was leaving to go to my friends to sleep (I know I know, I am a fool). So for the 9 months I was there every night, and on the weekends, and pretty much have been spending everyday around her husband.

December 2011, I move back to my house because my friend is expecting a child. I’m sleeping on the couch in my own house. This is still going on, and since then my gf and I have been fighting a lot. I want to end the relationship, she is begging me to work on things but I have caught her in too many lies, she has betrayed me too many times. So I told her I am done.

Well fast forward to February 2012. Her husband settling on a condo that he bought, he is supposedly moving by end of March. She begs me to work on things still and I tell her no. She asks me if I would just please stay to support her through rough times for the time being (Her mom has Terminal Cancer…or so she says, I haven’t heard this from her mom).

Anyways, my gf then tells me that she’s been seeing her lawyer trying to finalize papers for the divorce. She tells me that she saw a Business card in her husband’s car for a law firm. She grabs it, takes a picture and goes to her Lawyer with it. Now I know this is illegal, but she says her lawyer’s assistant is family or good friends w/ the assistant at the law firm on the business card.

Long story short, my gf’s lawyer obtains written documentation from my gf’s husband regarding a law suit against me. My gf tells me that he is resentful, that he feels I am the reason their marriage failed and that because of me he has suffered from emotional distress and financial distress. My gf tells me that he has spoke to a lawyer about suing me for (I believe this is correct) Emotional Distress and Financial losses or distress. Essentially saying that I caused him and the kid’s emotional distress and that I caused him to have to liquidate his assets (Investment properties that he shared jointly w/ my gf).

My question is, does he actually have a case? Can I be sued for Emotional distress or financial distress? Her husband and I have pretty much become friends. We see each other every day and have lived w/ one another for a long time. We have gone on camping trips and have spent a lot of time hanging out together. Wouldn’t these actions be contradicting to his law suit?

Now keep in mind, that I have not seen this write up, I am going all based on my gf’s word, which I question heavily hence why I am posting this here. My gf said to me that the main reason she asked me to stick around for now is because she claims that her husband is extremely resentful and that he believes I only started a relationship w/ my gf because I wanted an easy way to success. She is successful, and financially sound. He only says that I was out for two things, money/comfortable living and well you can guess the other thing. The reason he says this is because my so called ex-best friend told him those exact words. She says that if I leave now, that he will feel more inclined to follow through w/ this suit.

So is this even feasible?

Thanks in advance!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

I believe Maryland still allows alienation of affection lawsuits. Feasible? Yes.

We'll have to request the FA crystal ball to know how successful it would be.

Swirv02

I believe Maryland still allows alienation of affection lawsuits. Feasible? Yes.

We'll have to request the FA crystal ball to know how successful it would be.
Thanks for the quick reply Tranquility! I did some google searching and turns out that Maryland has abolished the ability to file for a alienation of affection lawsuit.

Resource: http://www.worldlawdirect.com/article/1026/alienation-affections-law-suits.html

I am very appreciate of your insight, this has opened my eyes up to other possible lawsuits he could file for. Are there any other suits he can file for that I do not know about? Again I feel that since he has befriended me for the last year or more I feel that because of this he would not be able to successfully file for suit. Then again that is why I am here, I'm not a lawyer nor do I have any education in law aside from what I am trying to read online.

Thanks again for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">