• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee suicide in workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pacer41

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
OHIO

This past week, my cousin who was a healthy, 55 year-old male hung himself where he worked with an electrical cord that had weights affixed to it in his machining cell at work. Since there was no second shift, he wasn't discovered until a third shift worker came in early around 9 p.m and reported it to the team leader. His wife was called with the news. She indicated to family that the company is ruling this as an accidental death. She (my cousin's wife) is fine with the ruling, because she said his life insurance policy wouldn't pay out on a suicide, and I understand they have kids in college, etc, but it bothers me that the fact that he was was found seated in a chair versus hung from the rafters wouldn't warrant some TYPE of investigation by OSHA. Could my cousin-in-law have a wrongful death case here? What does the law require as far as concluding cause of death being accidental vs suicide?

justalayman

OSHA will investigate the matter, especially given it is claimed to be an accident.

more importantly, the police or coroner will investigate the matter as well. The coroner is who determines if it is an accident or suicide. The employer has no say in the matter.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OHIO

This past week, my cousin who was a healthy, 55 year-old male hung himself where he worked with an electrical cord that had weights affixed to it in his machining cell at work. Since there was no second shift, he wasn't discovered until a third shift worker came in early around 9 p.m and reported it to the team leader. His wife was called with the news. She indicated to family that the company is ruling this as an accidental death. She (my cousin's wife) is fine with the ruling, because she said his life insurance policy wouldn't pay out on a suicide, and I understand they have kids in college, etc, but it bothers me that the fact that he was was found seated in a chair versus hung from the rafters wouldn't warrant some TYPE of investigation by OSHA. Could my cousin-in-law have a wrongful death case here? What does the law require as far as concluding cause of death being accidental vs suicide?
If this person was found dead at work, the police would have had to be called and the police would determine what it was. You are not getting the whole story here. And if your cousin were found dead at work and the police were NOT called, various laws were broken.

swalsh411

First of all, I am sorry for your loss.

What do you think would happen if the insurance accepted the "accident", paid out to the estate, and then later found out it was a suicide? Do you think that would end well for your cousins family?

ShyCat

I believe that typically suicide is an exclusion only for the first two years of a life insurance policy. Group policies might not even have that.

olenderlegal

OHIO

Its unfortunate to he about your cousin. My sympathies to her family.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are many cases, where the jury has found situations responsible for the suicide, respected them; found persons guilty, who are responsible for creating such situations and the insurance companies were made to pay the claims.
Setting aside the fact that your statement doesn't make sense as written, would you care to provide cites from Ohio?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">