• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evil Sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brielles momgui

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My mother passed away in June of '11 and left her bank account in my name and she didnt leave a will but it was known i was in control of her possessions. My sister got a hold of my mothers atm card and withdrew $3,000 out of the account and then asked me for another $2,000. She also broke into my apartment where I had my mother staying with me and stole approx. $500,000 worth of my moms jewelry and then broke in a second time and stole everything else she left the first time (big flat screen tv,statues,keepsakes etc.) I let my cousin have the apt and just recently she went there and took more stuff and replaced my mothers remains(ashes) with vanilla pudding mix! Right before my mom passed I gave birth to a baby 3 mths prematurely,her only grandchild, and my mom made it clear she wanted the baby to get a chunk of the jewelry. Recently I went to the doctor and explained all that has been going on and she referred me to a med psych clinic. I want to know do I have enough grounds to sue her for emotional distress. Thank you!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My mother passed away in June of '11 and left her bank account in my name and she didnt leave a will but it was known i was in control of her possessions. My sister got a hold of my mothers atm card and withdrew $3,000 out of the account and then asked me for another $2,000. She also broke into my apartment where I had my mother staying with me and stole approx. $500,000 worth of my moms jewelry and then broke in a second time and stole everything else she left the first time (big flat screen tv,statues,keepsakes etc.) I let my cousin have the apt and just recently she went there and took more stuff and replaced my mothers remains(ashes) with vanilla pudding mix! Right before my mom passed I gave birth to a baby 3 mths prematurely,her only grandchild, and my mom made it clear she wanted the baby to get a chunk of the jewelry. Recently I went to the doctor and explained all that has been going on and she referred me to a med psych clinic. I want to know do I have enough grounds to sue her for emotional distress. Thank you!

I am sorry for your loss but unless you have enough resources to pay a hefty retainer for an attorney, you'd be much better off finding your peace in another manner.

ecmst12

You could sue her for half the value of the items she took, since your mom's estate would be divided equally between all children if there is no spouse and no will. I don't know where emotional distress needs to come into it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">