• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fall Accident - Settlement Negotiations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J Ryan

Ok,

I fell a few years back into a manhole late at night and it was part of a large corporations infrastructure. The manhole lid had been broken for the previous 12 years and had been reported broken during that period on many occasions. The company failed to repair it, erecting temporary barriers on a number of occasions but never fixing the problem.

Following my fall I engaged the services of a no win no fee solicitor as I had no funds to pursue the case otherwise. Initially the solicitor advised my claim was worth a very small amount and I persevered with seeing doctors etc, paying out of my own pocket for scans etc. Eventually I was told I’d need surgery for my injuries along with other treatments as I ‘ve more than one injury. When the solicitor finally send a letter of claim I had to correct several mistake they had made. The difference in what they told me my claim was worth to what it is actually worth is significant. They also tried to get me to go to see a clinical psychologist following a request from the corporations defending solicitors. They tried to scare me into going to it but I flatly refused and following that they apologised saying they were mistaken in asking me to go to the appointment.

I will meet with the corporation soon as part of a recommended pow wow requested by the court when the date for trial is set. My solicitor seems to have capitulated to every request that the corporation or it solicitors have made. My question is this.

Is it normal practice to meet with the corporation you are suing at their solicitors offices for a settlement meeting prior to the court case? The question being about the location as much as the meeting.

What should my barrister and legal team advise?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok,

I fell a few years back into a manhole late at night and it was part of a large corporations infrastructure. The manhole lid had been broken for the previous 12 years and had been reported broken during that period on many occasions. The company failed to repair it, erecting temporary barriers on a number of occasions but never fixing the problem.

Following my fall I engaged the services of a no win no fee solicitor as I had no funds to pursue the case otherwise. Initially the solicitor advised my claim was worth a very small amount and I persevered with seeing doctors etc, paying out of my own pocket for scans etc. Eventually I was told I’d need surgery for my injuries along with other treatments as I ‘ve more than one injury. When the solicitor finally send a letter of claim I had to correct several mistake they had made. The difference in what they told me my claim was worth to what it is actually worth is significant. They also tried to get me to go to see a clinical psychologist following a request from the corporations defending solicitors. They tried to scare me into going to it but I flatly refused and following that they apologised saying they were mistaken in asking me to go to the appointment.

I will meet with the corporation soon as part of a recommended pow wow requested by the court when the date for trial is set. My solicitor seems to have capitulated to every request that the corporation or it solicitors have made. My question is this.

Is it normal practice to meet with the corporation you are suing at their solicitors offices for a settlement meeting prior to the court case? The question being about the location as much as the meeting.

What should my barrister and legal team advise?

Sorry, this forum is for US law only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">