• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fall down stairs in public building

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craftygal65

(Live in Ohio fell in West Va.)On January 6 I fell down approximately 10 steps at the local community center owned by the city. I was taken by ambulance and had about 100 stitches to my left ear and injury to my left leg. In addition I aggravated an old back/neck injury. Bottom line, I was off work 10 days, have just about fully recovered but received a letter today from the citys insurance carrier saying they would not pay any medical bills etc. I had not been inside this buidling for over 30 years. I was admitted by an employee at an upstairs entrance that was blocked as the new entrance was in the downstairs. He was walking me downstairs to give me a tour when I tripped or slipped on the metal edging that was covering the lip of the step. Apparently it was either higher in that area or there was something such as a pebble or other foreign object on the step. I am not interested in a multi-million dollar recovery--only am looking for payment of medical bills, lost work time and something for pain and suffering. What should be my next step? I was hoping that the insurance carrier would just step up the the plate and pay my expenses but I guess I am going to have to fight. Any advice or what to do next?

Fight what? My advise to you is next time you use stairs is hold on to the handrails and be careful. It was an accident, they didn't push you down the stairs.

T

Trucking Mad

Step up!

craftygal65 said:
(Live in Ohio fell in West Va.)On January 6 I fell down approximately 10 steps at the local community center owned by the city. I was taken by ambulance and had about 100 stitches to my left ear and injury to my left leg. In addition I aggravated an old back/neck injury. Bottom line, I was off work 10 days, have just about fully recovered but received a letter today from the citys insurance carrier saying they would not pay any medical bills etc. I had not been inside this buidling for over 30 years. I was admitted by an employee at an upstairs entrance that was blocked as the new entrance was in the downstairs. He was walking me downstairs to give me a tour when I tripped or slipped on the metal edging that was covering the lip of the step. Apparently it was either higher in that area or there was something such as a pebble or other foreign object on the step. I am not interested in a multi-million dollar recovery--only am looking for payment of medical bills, lost work time and something for pain and suffering. What should be my next step? I was hoping that the insurance carrier would just step up the the plate and pay my expenses but I guess I am going to have to fight. Any advice or what to do next?
:rolleyes: Ins. Co. will never step up to the plate..That would be like doing the right thing!.. Unfortunately you will have to pursue this with an attorney!:cool:

HomeGuru

Trucking Mad said:
:rolleyes: Ins. Co. will never step up to the plate..That would be like doing the right thing!.. Unfortunately you will have to pursue this with an attorney!:cool:

**A: hellp, read the posts before you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">