• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fall on Sidewalk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fallinAZ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Does anyone know the typical settlement if a file is claimed for a fall on a sidewalk. I tripped, fell and broke my wrist and am debating filing a claim against the city I live in.

Any thoughts or answers?

Thank You.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

Does anyone know the typical settlement if a file is claimed for a fall on a sidewalk. I tripped, fell and broke my wrist and am debating filing a claim against the city I live in.

Any thoughts or answers?

$1.2 Million:rolleyes:.

Sue the idiot that tripped you;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Any thoughts or answers?

Why do you think the city is responsible in the first place?

Just Blue

Any thoughts or answers?

Based on the info you "provided"....0.00

fallinAZ

The reason I think the city is at fault is because I have noticed that there are other sidewalk issues that are painted with blue spray paint to caution someone. The specific slab of the sidewalk is raised about 1-2" which caused me to trip. I sent a letter to my HOA and they suggested I send the same email to the city I live in. I did, and immediately got a call from an "claims advisor" wanting me to file a claim.

I'm basically just wondering if I should name a Money amount - like the claim form says... and make a paper trail if something would potentially happen to my wrist down the road...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the sidewalk is defective, you may have a case of some sort. How long ago did this happen? How much money have you spent for the medical treatment?

fallinAZ

It happened last week Tuesday. I'm in a full arm cast. Luckily I'm on social security/medicare, so I'm not out of pocket much at all.

CJane

The city MIGHT reimburse your out of pocket expenses. MIGHT.

I'd be really interested to know though, if the city considers the sidewalk to be something that the resident of the adjoining property is responsible for, or if that particular sidewalk is considered "private" and owned by the HOA.

My father is responsible for the upkeep of the sidewalk that adjoins his property (no HOA), even though the city installed the sidewalks and technically "owns" them. He's even responsible for keeping the sidewalks at ADA standards.

Can't be the only city in the world that does that.

justalayman

The city MIGHT reimburse your out of pocket expenses. MIGHT.

I'd be really interested to know though, if the city considers the sidewalk to be something that the resident of the adjoining property is responsible for, or if that particular sidewalk is considered "private" and owned by the HOA.

My father is responsible for the upkeep of the sidewalk that adjoins his property (no HOA), even though the city installed the sidewalks and technically "owns" them. He's even responsible for keeping the sidewalks at ADA standards.

Can't be the only city in the world that does that.
they aren't. The city I live near treats the sidewalk the same way. If the property owner does not maintain the walk, the city will fix it...

and add the bill to the taxes.:eek:

CJane

they aren't. The city I live near treats the sidewalk the same way. If the property owner does not maintain the walk, the city will fix it...

and add the bill to the taxes.:eek:
Exactly!

I wonder if that transfers liability to the property owner for injuries as a result of gross neglect on the part of the injured....? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">