• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely Accused of Stealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asdasd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Me and my spose were recently accused of stealing at JC penny. I was able to prove immediately that I had not stolen anything. They made a big scene of it. It was right infront of my 7 yr old son.

Does being an minority cause the store to accuse me of stealing?

I called the manager later and he apologized. He sent me a written apology.

Can I sue the store. If yes under what category - Personal injury???

JETX

Of course not.

Can I sue the store.
Of course you can... after all, almost anyone can sue almost anyone else claiming almost anything.... BUT, unless you can PROVE that you were singled out due to malice or negligence... you have no case. The store has the legal right to protect their property from theft.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

Me and my spose were recently accused of stealing at JC penny. I was able to prove immediately that I had not stolen anything. They made a big scene of it. It was right infront of my 7 yr old son.

I called the manager later and he apologized. He sent me a written apology.

Can I sue the store. If yes under what category - Personal injury???
Let me ask you this question 1~ What monetary damages did you actually suffer as a result of the accusation?

asdasd

Let me ask you this question 1~ What monetary damages did you actually suffer as a result of the accusation?
Of Course I did not have any financial losses from the accusation

except for being humiliated infront of other shoppers and my own son

Antigone*

Of Course I did not have any financial losses from the accusation

except for being humiliated infront of other shoppers and my own son
If this is the case, and if you sue (you do have a right to do that) your actual damages would be what your are suing for.

Guess you didn't hit the law-suit lotto this time.

Use this as a lesson to teach your son. Explain to him that they thought that mommy and daddy were stealing. This is how thieves are treated in our society. Of course you will also let him know they were mistaken and were gracious enough to give you a formal apology.

By doing this you have taken a horribly uncomfortable situation and changed it into a teaching moment.

asdasd

If this is the case, and if you sue (you do have a right to do that) your actual damages would be what your are suing for.

Guess you didn't hit the law-suit lotto this time.

Use this as a lesson to teach your son. Explain to him that they thought that mommy and daddy were stealing. This is how thieves are treated in our society. Of course you will also let him know they were mistaken and were gracious enough to give you a formal apology.

By doing this you have taken a horribly uncomfortable situation and changed it into a teaching moment.
Thanks for your suggestion

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">