• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud,slander,intentional emotional distress?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stogie_53

In Minnesota:

Fraud,slander,intentional/negligent emotional distress?

Coworker gets in car accident ends up in hospital, nursing home for several months. I try to help him out visiting him, giving him gifts sometimes bringing my wife along. I had been having health problems of my own prior to this but helped him out anyway. Together with wife of 30 years I owned super-insulated lake home (free and clear),was working on my own patent application,had some inheritance from my parents,and was within 2 years of retiring. When this guy recuperated he ''befriended'' wife behind my back I believe to steal her and my assets. I tried to help him out and he stabs me in the back by talking her into divorcing me and falsely claiming I sexually abused her and was a narcissist. I took a test with psychologist which came out normal to prove otherwise and have talked to several counselors who don't believe I abused her (she had voluntary relations with me several times before she left). He previously lied to 2 other women where I work that had just previously broken up with him. He had bragged to me previously about one woman calling him the King of BS, I have since found out he went out drinking after the 2nd woman left him for lieing getting in an accident (3rd DWI). I lost wife,house. 20+ mos. in counseling.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Your ex wife was in control of her actions. She CHOSE to leave you. Can't blame anyone but her for that.

quincy

First, no one can be "talked into" divorcing a spouse. There must be some sort of problem in the marriage prior to one spouse leaving it for someone else. No one leaves a happy marriage.

Therefore, your wife's exit from the marriage is not the fault of the coworker with the dubious charms. Your wife's exit from the marriage was her choice. I agree with ecmst12.

Regardless of any motives the coworker may have had in befriending your wife, you cannot sue him because your wife wound up leaving you and wound up with marital assets after leaving. You could, however, potentially sue the coworker for slander, if you can prove this coworker told others, outside a courtroom and outside any court-related proceedings, that you were sexually abusive toward your wife.

You must be able to prove that any statements the coworker made about you were false and defamatory. For slander, this is generally done through witness testimony - someone who heard the defamatory comments and reacted in a negative way toward you because of them (fired you, avoided you, ridiculed you, etc). You need proof, in other words, of reputational injury. And you must prove the statements were communicated to others with negligence.

If your wife told the coworker (falsely) that you sexually abused her, a suit against the coworker would not be successful (although one against her might be).

If you feel that you have been defamed, and cheated out of marital assets because of the defamation, or if you feel your reputation has been severely tarnished by the false and defamatory comments made about you, you should consult with an attorney in your area. Provide the attorney with all of the facts and details of your situation. You only have 2 years from the date of first publication of the defamatory statements to file a defamation action in Minnesota.

I think that if your divorce is final and your wife and house are already gone, however, it may be better for you, both health-wise and financially, to let any remaining anger at the coworker and your wife go, and move on with your life.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I tried to help him out and he stabs me in the back by talking her into divorcing me and falsely claiming I sexually abused her and was a narcissist. I took a test with psychologist which came out normal to prove otherwise and have talked to several counselors who don't believe I abused her (she had voluntary relations with me several times before she left).
Curiosity begs the question, how on earth can YOUR psychology reports confirm or refute that you did or did not abuse your wife? Surely your wife would need to be the key subject?

The bolded, in particular, is of no consequence to any such allegation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">