• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

General Negligence CA vs. Hospital

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agorsi

California. I am filing in pro per tomorrow for Wrongful Death. My father died after a brutal 3.5 months in the hospital.

Throughout his stay, they did surgeries that I his next of kin was against. Removal of his gallbladder was the last unagreed upon surgery and my father passed a few days later.

DOes the hospital really have say in who makes decisions for the incapaciated? I always thought it was next of kin/as in me the only son.

They would call me infront of other family members to get me to agree to unneccesarry procedures. I would say no, and they would have any randomn family member sign it off. I am distraught after this kind of unethical, negligent, torterous care.

Do have I have legal rights?

ecmst12

Did you have power of attorney?

It is extremely unwise to try to handle medical malpractice/wrongful death actions pro se. Especially if you don't even understand the laws involved.

Isis1

California. I am filing in pro per tomorrow for Wrongful Death. My father died after a brutal 3.5 months in the hospital.

Throughout his stay, they did surgeries that I his next of kin was against. Removal of his gallbladder was the last unagreed upon surgery and my father passed a few days later.

DOes the hospital really have say in who makes decisions for the incapaciated? I always thought it was next of kin/as in me the only son.

They would call me infront of other family members to get me to agree to unneccesarry procedures. I would say no, and they would have any randomn family member sign it off. I am distraught after this kind of unethical, negligent, torterous care.

first, i am very sorry for your loss.

and please realize i am not saying you don't have a case, but you need a medical malpractice attorney to overlook your case.

and there are some questions you will need to answer to get the right help.

are you aware of any power of attorney your dad may have assigned to anyone? exactly what papers were signed? what proof do you have that your dad would have survived if he did not undergo those surgeries?

Proserpina

And as a general rule, if an attorney won't take your case on contingency (in other words, they won't get paid unless/until you collect), you don't have a case.

That aside, death can be a complication of any and all surgeries. It does not necessarily indicate any wrongdoing.

Adam G

A court must appoint you executor of your father's estate. Then you can sue on behalf of the estate.

A pro se case for medical malpractice brought by a non-attorney doesn't sound like it stands much of a chance. You might be want to try talking to the hospital ombudsman to see what he/she has to say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">