• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harassment that causes injury...who's responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsConfused1974

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I have had an ongoing fued with someone for quite sometime. They have continueously done things to cause problems for me.

A few months ago, my husband was on the internet and this person told my husband that I had had numberous affairs on him. This cause a heated argument between my husband and I and I slammed the the top down on my laptop. I had recently put a hot skillet on my kitchen table and the heat had caused a crack in the glass. So, with that being said, the pressure from me slamming the top caused the table to bust. I had to have many stitches placed in my foot and I think that it caused nerve damage because I have lots of tingling in my toes even months later.

These people are still harassing me. Can anyone tell me if this person has broken any law by telling these lies and caused me to be injured?

Thanks so much for your advise.

justalayman

the neighbor did not cause your injuries. How you react to the situation is up to you but the neighbor did not cause you to do anything.

good news though; tingling is generally a sign of nerve healing so whatever sensation you lost in your foot appears as if it may be returning.

quincy

If you have not had numerous affairs, but your husband now believes that you have - thanks to the comments made by the person you are feuding with - you could contact a lawyer and discuss with the lawyer the possibility of a defamation action. It is defamatory to falsely accuse a person of adultery.

Defamation actions are expensive and often not worth pursuing, but the lawyer could, at the very least, draft a cease and desist letter, warning this person that if the harassment does not stop, court action is a possibility. In Indiana, you have 2 years from the time you were defamed in which to bring a defamation action.

As for the injury to your foot, you are solely responsible for that.

Last edited:

MsConfused1974

Please don't be a smart butt, I'm asking for serious advise. I feel that he acted in Malice (the intent to cause emotional distress and/or other injury). He has caused me emotional and physical pain.

A note to the others. No, I haven't had numberous afairs so, there is definately a defimation of character involved.

quincy

Contact a lawyer and go over everything with him/her. If the harassment has been going on for some time, see about getting a restraining order. Talk to the lawyer about a defamation action or a cease and desist letter.

But the foot you injured yourself and you cannot place any of the blame for the injury on your harasser.

justalayman

Please don't be a smart butt, I'm asking for serious advise. I feel that he acted in Malice (the intent to cause emotional distress and/or other injury). He has caused me emotional and physical pain.
No, HE did NOT cause you physical pain. You caused your physical pain.

You need to get past this thought that he caused your injury.

as to a defamation suit, get out the checkbook. Hope you have a few 10's of thousands of dollars around to spend on the gamble because an attorney is not going to take this on contingency.

if you do, then go for it and best of luck to you.

MsConfused1974

Honestly, the money is not an issue. I have a annual household income of over 150k a year.

I didn't mean for this post to come across as me wanting to be repaid for medical expences. My health ensurance paid nearly all of it. I think I owed $52.00 on my emergency room visit.

This man should be held accountable for his actions. He acted in a manor that could have caused harm. It was negligent. I think Jenny Jones lost like 25 Million dollars in a negligence suit because her shows auctions. I know it's not completely the same thing but similar.

Injuries aren't always physical. They are also emotional. When he told my husband this, do you think he thought my husband would say "oh, you're having an affair? I guess we should file for a divorce?" People have been seriously injured due to the same kind of crap.

Please Justa... Don't respond on this post any longer. You are aragant. I work during the day so, I don't have time to research except for at night. I want to get a feel for whether or not it is worth persuing because, I'll have to take time off from my business to consult a lawyer.

Last edited:

justalayman

Please Justa... Don't respond on this post any longer. You are aragant. I work during the day so, I don't have time to research except for at night. I want to get a feel for whether or not it is worth persuing because, I'll have to take time off from my business to consult a lawyer.
Honesty is being arrogant. Not hardly. Arrogant is telling you you do not know how to spell arrogant and I do.
I was being realistic. If that bothers you, then you need a reality check, big time.

he did not cause your physical injuries. I don;t care what you want to think or how you are trying to twist things.

and if you believe the Jenny Jones thing similar in any way; take a read of this excerpt.

HOLLYWOOD -- The Michigan Court of Appeals Wednesday overturned a $29 million jury verdict entered against "The Jenny Jones Show" in 1999 following the murder of a guest, Scott Amedure, by another guest, Jonathan Schmitz.

The court held that the show "had no duty to anticipate and prevent the...
so, now do you want to continue with the rediculous claim?

Like I said, go for defamation if you want but plan on paying a lot of money and unless the neighbor has a lot, getting nothing in return but you are not going to win on the physical harm issue.

and no, it is obvious you do not want to get a feel for this. You want everybody to tell you that you should sue this guy. Well, you have had several people tell you the same thing I have and that is you have no chance of winning in a suit for the physical damages.

MsConfused1974

You're a great addition to this site.

You're insulting and a real know it all. You should go to law school if you haven't already.

If someone told your spouse that you were having an affair, would it cause you any pain? Emotional distress?

I want to use all of this as leverage to get these quacks out of my life for good.

That's all. There is absolutely NO financial gain for me what so ever. I just want peace for my family.

There is a whole lot more to this story than I am revealing. This event is documented and the easiest to persue.

You can't just get a legal restraining order by saying "they won't leave me alone" ... "they're bothering me". I need something with some bite to it.

OK?

justalayman

You're insulting and a real know it all. You should go to law school if you haven't already.
where did I insult you?

If someone told your spouse that you were having an affair, would it cause you any pain? Emotional distress?
Yes, I never said anything to the contrary. I addressed the physical injuries as one issue and the defamation as another. I said sue for the defamation. What else do you want? You aren;t going to get the physical injury claim. That is merely you lacking self control. On top of that, you did say you placed a hot pan on the table and caused it to crack so this even further removes any liability the neighbor already didn;t have and places it on you. Get over it. The physical injury is your fault.

I want to use all of this as leverage to get these quacks out of my life for good.
Huh?

That's all. There is absolutely NO financial gain for me what so ever. I just want peace for my family.
Well, if you want peace, you are heading in the wrong direction. You are looking at a couple years dealing with this in court with continual upheavel in your life jumping through hoops.

There is a whole lot more to this story than I am revealing. This event is documented and the easiest to persue.
Like I said, sue for the defamation. Nobody has told you anything different. PLan on spending lots of money (that you probably will not get back even if you do win) and lots of time that is not compensable.

You can't just get a legal restraining order by saying "they won't leave me alone" ... "they're bothering me". I need something with some bite to it.
Well, you claim to have written documentation supporting your claim. btw; you will not win a lawsuit of any sort with " they won;t leave me alone"..."They're bothering me" either. You need much more than that.

If you have it, then like I said, get out your checkbook and hand the attorney a blank check. Ignore how much it will cost and how much turmoil the suit itself will cause in your life and push through to the end. If you win, you will get a judgment. If the negighbor does not have the money to pay that judgment, you will never get the money.

If he stops bothering you, then that will be your victory but I can assure you, there are many ways he can bother you and not be doing anything illegal so I would expect the neighbor to be bothering you for a long time with no recourse on your part but. the best of luck to you.

even if you win the battle, you will most likely not win the war but, it's your choice.

I think you would be much better off spending the money on a nice vacation with your husband and showing him that you are not interested in other men and then the two of you will be a unified force against the idiot neighbor that has a big mouth.

MsConfused1974

Obviously, you just hear what you want to hear. If you read my orignal post, it says nothing about my neighbor. You must be confused with another post.

You insulted me by saying that I didn't know how to spell something but, yet you did.
That, IMO was saying I wasn't intelligent. Yep, I type too fast sometimes and I may screw up and spell a word competely wrong. I didn't use spell check SRY :(

I didn't finish reading the rest of your post because frankly, you're just too unreasonable.

Thank you for wasting my time. Obviously you have more time to waste on this than I do being that you have thousands of posts... so continue to post your BS.

I'm outta here.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm calling "troll" on this thread.
Anyone so rich as to make $150,000+ per year would just contact her lawyer, not a free advice board :rolleyes::rolleyes:

justalayman

Obviously, you just hear what you want to hear. If you read my orignal post, it says nothing about my neighbor. You must be confused with another post.
My apologies. Somewhere along the line I believed this to be a neighbor. That mistake does not change anything though.

You insulted me by saying that I didn't know how to spell something but, yet you did.
No, I did not tell you you do not know how to spell as an insult to you. You called me arrogant and I explained that I was not and define arrogant as telling you you do not know how to spell arrogant but I do. If you feel insulted by that, that may explain why you feel the other person caused you physical injuries. You blame others for your problems.

That, IMO was saying I wasn't intelligent.
that is your interpretation. Maybe a bit of lacking self confidence but I in no way said or inferred you were not intelligent.

Yep, I type too fast sometimes and I may screw up and spell a word competely wrong. I didn't use spell check SRY :(
I do as well but the point was, I was explaining what arrogance is, by example. I did not condemn you for your misspelling.

I didn't finish reading the rest of your post because frankly, you're just too unreasonable.
I am honest and realistic. If you want to even consider a law suit, you need to get used to it because I said nothing to you other than spelling out the realities of the situation.

Thank you for wasting my time. Obviously you have more time to waste on this than I do being that you have thousands of posts... so continue to post your BS.
and if you research those posts, you will realize I research my responses so as to provide accurate responses. It is obviously your choice to ignore anything you wish. Don;t get upset when an attorney charges you $250/hour to tell you the same thing you read here.

I'm outta here
bye

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">