• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heir status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EDDY1010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
search the forums or post a question by Clicking Here.

I am listed as a heir in wrongful death suit that was settled out of court. I am the half brother of the deceased. No other connection other then my father was his father. Would I be entitled to the same share of the suit as the other brother and sister?

My Father and his father is the same. He was married to both of our mothers. My half brother died to wrong medical treatment by a care unit and the care unit ins. company settled out of court. I had never met my half brother only my half sister only once. The only connection was our father. Their lawyer is saying a hearing will be held to determine if I, being a distant relative, who never knew the deceased, would be entitled to a share of the settlement. Ed M

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ
search the forums or post a question by Clicking Here.

I am listed as a heir in wrongful death suit that was settled out of court. I am the half brother of the deceased. No other connection other then my father was his father. Would I be entitled to the same share of the suit as the other brother and sister?

My Father and his father is the same. He was married to both of our mothers. My half brother died to wrong medical treatment by a care unit and the care unit ins. company settled out of court. I had never met my half brother only my half sister only once. The only connection was our father. Their lawyer is saying a hearing will be held to determine if I, being a distant relative, who never knew the deceased, would be entitled to a share of the settlement. Ed M
The best answer you'll get here is "maybe". You may wish to contact an attorney to represent your interests.

ShyCat

What loss have you suffered for which you deserve compensation as the result of the death of a person you never even met? Don't get your hopes up for a big payday. :rolleyes:

Dandy Don

What state did your half brother die in--was it Arizona or some other state?

Do you know whether your half brother left a last will and testament that was probated in court (how old was he when he died) or was there no will for him at all?

You can wait to see what the attorney (who is handling the wrongful death suit) says about what your share is (who may or may not be giving you the full truth about what your share is), or you can consult with your own attorney to get an honest, unbiased opinion and who perhaps can also help you get any other questions answered as this process plays out.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">