• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by car after leaving hospital

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

averageguy297

Mississippi

This is on behalf of my father. My father, 57, has a rare illness called Stiff Person(+) and was taken to the hospital on December 8th for coming down with a bad cold.

During his hospitalization, he was heavily medicated and not very coherent because of the morphine and diazepam they had him on for managing the pain from his Stiff Person(+). When I would come see him or call him, very little of what he said was understandable or made any sense which was obviously because of the amount of medicine he was on. Not only could he not talk but he definitely could not have properly walk if he tried.

I had to go to the hospital on the 11th of December to give approval for them to do an ultrasound on a cyst in his breast and put a needle into it to take a sample, the reason I had to give permission was because he was not physically able to sign the permission forum.

The next day, December 12th, something happened that resulted in my father wanting to leave the hospital although he wasn't mentally or physically capable of making that decision. They knowingly allowed him to leave the hospital which resulted in him trying to walk home(10 miles away). While standing in the median of the roads, somebody attempted to make an illegal U-turn but didn't see him and ran him over. A police report was taken and the driver was arrested. This resulted in a sprained arm, cuts and bruises allover, and was very obviously mentally uneasy and not all there.

The next 5 days after the accident he was in the hospital recovering. When he got home, he used the bathroom on himself several times which was unusual and was also very forgetful. He could not walk without falling over, and needed help getting to the bathroom. To this day(Dec 23) he is still very dizzy and forgetful, yesterday he forgot what day it was. He is still not all there, so I'm posting on his behalf to try and figure out what can be done about this incident and how solid of a case there is and what kind of compensation could come from it. I would like to thank you all in advance for any advice you can give me, I really appreciate it.

averageguy297

When I asked him this question, he said he does not remember so I will have to get that information from the hospital I suppose.

justalayman

It is very difficult if not impossible to prevent a patient from leaving the hospital if they want to leave. There are a few reasons he could be forced to stay but without one of those reasons present it is actually a criminal act to force him to remain at the hospital.

You can always seek out an attorney who can review the specific facts and provide an opinion. In addition to being able to delve further into this, a lawyer could act to preserve documents should it appear there is a possible action against the hospital.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">