• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit by drunk driver and my son was killed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Theweasel79

Last year on 12/19/15 my family and I was out looking at Christmas lights that night when we where hit by a drunk driver. My son was killed on Impact and I received injuries also during thd wreck. My question is our lawyer has presented us offer of $150,000 from her insurance company and where being told that all her insurance pay per person in a accident and a total of $300,000 is the max they pay for the entire wreck. My son was only 7 years old how the hell can you tell a parent that their sons life was only worth $150,000. I just don't understand how any of this crap works. I just really use some help on how I should proceed from this point. So any help that y'all can give me would be great. Thanks

justalayman

The insurance company cannot extend a settlement offer beyond the policy limit. That is all the insurance company will ever pay. It has nothing to do with what a life is worth.

You can likely win a judgment well beyond that sum though. If the at fault party has assets or income where you might be able to collect on the judgment, you can continue on into court seeking such a judgment. If the other party can't pay or doesn't have other insurance that will pay on their behalf (think umbrella policy), winning a judgment is likely to be a hollow victory.

Your state may be important in this matter. That is why you were asked what state this invovles when you first posted.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
...how the hell can you tell a parent that their sons life was only worth $150,000.
I'm sorry for your loss, however you make it sound like you have a monetary value for your son's life in mind.

If so, I'd like to hear what it is.

Theweasel79

I don't have a value in mind for my son. I just can't believe that a insurance company can tell you that a child's life is only worth a 150,000.

Silverplum

I don't have a value in mind for my son. I just can't believe that a insurance company can tell you that a child's life is only worth a 150,000.
I also extend my sympathy to you.

It's as was explained: just a cash limit on that particular insurance policy, and not an insulting valuation of your child's worth as a person. My sons also are worth more than any amount of money, so I see your reaction.

Best wishes for you and your family as you go forward.

justalayman

Did you not read a single word I wrote? I understand your grieving but the insurance company has said no such thing. They offered to pay the full policy amount. That is all they are legally obligated to pay....period. That is all they CAN pay.

You can continue your suit and seek a greater judgment. You are likely to win a greater judgment but all the insurance company can and will pay is the policy limit of $150,000. Anything above that will be the obligation of the at fault party (presuming there is no other insurance policy in play).

ShyCat

Please look at your own auto liability policy. How much is your coverage per person, per accident? Is that how much you think a life is worth, or just how much coverage you could afford? Please don't let unjustified anger at the insurance company to add to your grief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">