• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hotel scabies! please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noob101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
I was staying at a local hotel in Los Angeles and woke up with what my wife thought were new moles, until they started moving. I did research right away and painfully found out they were scabies! I need to know what kind of lawyer or process to use to take action against the hotel! any help quickly would greatly be appreciated. thank you.:confused:

racer72

What did the hotel say when you informed them about the problem? Did you confirm the problem with a visit to a medical professional? Scabies is almost always caused by skin to skin contact with an infected person, transfer from bedding to people is extremely rare and almost impossible, especially if the bedding has not been in contact with an infected person in over 12 hours.

divona2000

Are you sure it's scabies, and not ticks or fleas? Scabies mites have eight legs, round body and are really hard to see. The mites are no bigger than the point of a pin. There are usually 10 or 15 live mites on a person.

They are usually between fingers, but can be in any fold of skin. They make a dry, itchy, reddish rash of bumps, and thin, slightly raised light lines on your skin where the mites have been digging.
It takes about 4 to 6 weeks for the rash to show up, how long were you at this hotel?

People get exposed to mites when people get close (like handshaking), mites move from skin to skin. That's how you get scabies - from someone who already has them. Sometimes the mites can get on a person from a towel, clothing, or sheets recently used by someone who has scabies, but this is very uncommon.

racer72

I'm thinking bed bugs, not scabies. If the OP did not seek any kind of immediate medical attention, it's going to be almost impossible to prove that the hotel was the cause of the problem, whatever it is.

noob101

Im sure

My doctor confirmed scabies. We did not have them when we went to LA. We had made a reservation for smoking room and all they had was a non smoking which was fine. An hour later when we arrived the hotel front desk person said they had a smoking room available but it had just been shampooed and it was almost dry. We didnt mind so we took the room. My wife thought the room was a little dirty but paid no nevermind. When we woke up in the middle of the night My wife saw something moving so she woke me up too. She asked when I got the new moles on my back then asked why they were moving. We got out of the bed to see it was covered in scabies or what we thought was some bugs. We took a peice of the carpet which was covered and the sheets for proof. When the management saw we we running out of the room they shut the toilet off. Assuring me they knew of the infestation. My wife has them bad and will need reconstruction surgery no doubt about it. How should I go about taking legal action I really need to know this is very serious. It is scabies and we got it from the room that night. It is very transferable from bedding! My daughter researched it online for many hours in fear that her mother will not attened her wedding. I really need advice. Please someone help

divona2000

My doctor confirmed scabies.
You might need another opinion.

[/QUOTE]When we woke up in the middle of the night My wife saw something moving so she woke me up too. She asked when I got the new moles on my back then asked why they were moving. We got out of the bed to see it was covered in scabies or what we thought was some bugs.[/QUOTE]
Scabies mites are extremely tiny, almost impossible to see with the naked eye. You sure didn't see them on sheets and carpeting.

[/QUOTE]We took a peice of the carpet which was covered and the sheets for proof.[/QUOTE]
You destroyed the carpet and committed theft?

[/QUOTE]When the management saw we we running out of the room they shut the toilet off.[/QUOTE]
What? :confused:
[/QUOTE]Assuring me they knew of the infestation.[/QUOTE]
Again, what? :confused:

[/QUOTE]My wife has them bad and will need reconstruction surgery no doubt about it.[/QUOTE]
For the third time...what? :confused:

[/QUOTE]How should I go about taking legal action I really need to know this is very serious.[/QUOTE]
Try an Optometrist to get the $$$ out of your eyes. :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]It is scabies and we got it from the room that night. It is very transferable from bedding! My daughter researched it online for many hours in fear that her mother will not attened her wedding. I really need advice. Please someone help[/QUOTE]

It takes about a week to cure scabies, sometimes two weeks. The treatment is simple, although it may take two weeks for the itching to subside.

noob101

Um no

The surgery would be for her face and body. The doctor said they have to cut them out and possibly sew some of the sores or openings back together. She has them all over her face and body. We saw tiny white things on the sheets and some on the floor. And I went to the bathroom and tried to flush the toilet and it wouldnt flush and there was no water running in the toilet. Divana2000 you should be a little more sensitive. Im not kidding about we saw. If youd like i could send pictures of what these things look like. Also I could upload the video I took of my wife covered in scabs and places where the wounds have burst. I watched these things run down my legs when I took a hot shower. Our life is a living hell right now. I cannot work neither can my wife. This is serious. Im taking her to the hospital because I dont know what else to do. And we do not need to go to the optomitrist. Our physician saw the scabies and saw the eggs and fecal matter in one of the exposed wounds. He perscribed a creme that you keep on for 8-12hrs and it has helped. I need legal help in this matter not criticism. Again I will send pics upon request if you think I am lying.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need the advice of a local attorney. Not that of an anonymouse forum.

lealea1005

My doctor confirmed scabies. We did not have them when we went to LA. We had made a reservation for smoking room and all they had was a non smoking which was fine. An hour later when we arrived the hotel front desk person said they had a smoking room available but it had just been shampooed and it was almost dry. We didnt mind so we took the room. My wife thought the room was a little dirty but paid no nevermind. When we woke up in the middle of the night My wife saw something moving so she woke me up too. She asked when I got the new moles on my back then asked why they were moving. We got out of the bed to see it was covered in scabies or what we thought was some bugs. We took a peice of the carpet which was covered and the sheets for proof. When the management saw we we running out of the room they shut the toilet off. Assuring me they knew of the infestation. My wife has them bad and will need reconstruction surgery no doubt about it. How should I go about taking legal action I really need to know this is very serious. It is scabies and we got it from the room that night. It is very transferable from bedding! My daughter researched it online for many hours in fear that her mother will not attened her wedding. I really need advice. Please someone help

How did the Doctor confirm the scabies? Did you bring in a sample for him to look at under the microscope? I agree with the others, scarbies are almost too small to see with the naked eye AND unless your wife has bionic vision, she would not have seen one moving across your back.

Reconstructive surgery?!?!?!:confused: For what?

It is only transferable from the bedding if the bedding was recently (within 8-10 hours)used by an infected person. They need blood to survive. If they covered the bed and carpet as you say, then it wasn't scabies.

I'm with racer in thinking bedbugs. At least they're big enough to see.

In any event, if the hotel management was aware that there was an infestation of whatever they were, maybe you could get your hotel bill forgiven.

divona2000

Crusted scabies

noob101, what exactly did your doctor diagnose?

By any chance did he tell you it was "Crusted scabies", also known as "Norwegian scabies", or "parakeratotic scabies" ?

and does this hotel allow pets?

eparrillo

You can absolutely get Scabies from hotel bedding, fabrics, clothing...

What did the hotel say when you informed them about the problem? Did you confirm the problem with a visit to a medical professional? Scabies is almost always caused by skin to skin contact with an infected person, transfer from bedding to people is extremely rare and almost impossible, especially if the bedding has not been in contact with an infected person in over 12 hours.
Scabies live up to 72 hours off a human host. Therefore if a person actively infected with Scabies has contact with any fabrics including clothing, furniture, sheets, etc., you can become infected quite easily. it is a fallacy that human to human contact is the only way to become infected or that infestation from hotel room fabrics is not possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">