• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incident at School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ab14231

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Curious, a boy at my son's elementary school kissed my son on the mouth, throwing up into his mouth as he did so. Legally, what could be done? For others, what would YOU do?

OHRoadwarrior

Report it to school officials. Let them handle it. Request they provide assurance the other child did not possess any diseases potentially hazardous to their knowledge and advise your son to stay away from the other child.

lealea1005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Curious, a boy at my son's elementary school kissed my son on the mouth, throwing up into his mouth as he did so. Legally, what could be done? For others, what would YOU do?
Was this reported to you by your son or by a school official/school nurse?

The school official and/or school nurse is not permitted to discuss the health history of the other child.

Last edited:

ab14231

Was this reported to you by your son or by a school official/school nurse?

The school official and/or school nurse is not permitted to discuss the health history of the other child.
The administrator, then nurse, and my son was the last one I heard from.

ab14231

Report it to school officials. Let them handle it. Request they provide assurance the other child did not possess any diseases potentially hazardous to their knowledge and advise your son to stay away from the other child.
I am not certain they would openly provide such information as it is confidential. It is good advice though; something that I didn't think of right away because I was shocked. This happened just yesterday. I did get the nurse to print a short report of the incident.

OHRoadwarrior

I am not certain they would openly provide such information as it is confidential. It is good advice though; something that I didn't think of right away because I was shocked. This happened just yesterday. I did get the nurse to print a short report of the incident.
As mentioned, technically they are not permitted to disclose health info, however, you should not have a problem getting a nod that you may have a concern and what it is or not.

lealea1005

As mentioned, technically they are not permitted to disclose health info, however, you should not have a problem getting a nod that you may have a concern and what it is or not.
Not without the administrator or (especially) the school Nurse risking their job/license. A student's PHI is not something that's shared....not even a nod.

Last edited:

asiny

Not without the administrator or (especially) the school Nurse risking their job/license. A student's PHI is not something that's shared....not even a nod.
Technically she is legally allowed to know the name of the other child so she can, personally, approach the parents to discuss he concerns privately.

And, if not, she can always ask her child who the other child was so she can approach the parents too.

lealea1005

Technically she is legally allowed to know the name of the other child so she can, personally, approach the parents to discuss he concerns privately.

And, if not, she can always ask her child who the other child was so she can approach the parents too.

Asking her child would be the easiest way, I agree. Speaking as a former school Nurse, such information was not permitted to leave my office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">