• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured by church

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CAnnie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska. I live in a very small town. We used to attend a very fundamentalist church. My daughter married and the marriage was very short lived, after 4 months she divorced. After the divorce, my daughter moved back with us and started a small business in our town. Shortly after, the pastor and his elders began a campaign to force my daughter to repent. They sent letters, taped letters and signs on our house, vehicles, home, visited her at her business, came to our home. My elderly father went before them and the pastor yelled and cut him apart to the point he collapsed and had a stroke and has been in a nursing home ever since. They ultimately had a meeting and read a letter before the congregation expelling us and shunning us. This hurt my daughters business and she closed it down and moved her business to another location and has remarried and is happy. The result if this is that I have panic attacks and have been literally been dealing with PTSD. Our whole family has been devastated by this...we are not the first family to go through this and one other family has had a daughter commit suicide over similar treatment. Any help? Can we get renumeration for damages and treatment and counseling?

single317dad

How long did this go on? Did any of you ever file for a harassment protection order?

Start here:

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=28-311.02

Information for one county; you should find the relevant information for your county:

http://clerk.dc4dc.com/family-and-juvenile/domestic-violence--protection-orders

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska. I live in a very small town. We used to attend a very fundamentalist church. My daughter married and the marriage was very short lived, after 4 months she divorced. After the divorce, my daughter moved back with us and started a small business in our town. Shortly after, the pastor and his elders began a campaign to force my daughter to repent. They sent letters, taped letters and signs on our house, vehicles, home, visited her at her business, came to our home. My elderly father went before them and the pastor yelled and cut him apart to the point he collapsed and had a stroke and has been in a nursing home ever since. They ultimately had a meeting and read a letter before the congregation expelling us and shunning us. This hurt my daughters business and she closed it down and moved her business to another location and has remarried and is happy. The result if this is that I have panic attacks and have been literally been dealing with PTSD. Our whole family has been devastated by this...we are not the first family to go through this and one other family has had a daughter commit suicide over similar treatment. Any help? Can we get renumeration for damages and treatment and counseling?
While the messages delivered about your daughter and father may be protected speech, depending on what exactly was said by the Church to others, the methods for delivering these messages appear to have crossed a few legal lines.

Certainly the harassment that single317dad mentions seems an avenue your daughter and your family should have explored and, if the harassment is continuing, still could explore. Trespassing was an option at the time, as well. Police complaints could have, and should have, been filed. These would have helped (or could help) with the issuance of a restraining order.

And there are time, place and manner restrictions that need to be examined. One can generally espouse his or her views publicly (and in private), but when speaking in public, laws and ordinances can require permits that limit the when, where and hows of such speech.

Your daughter (and potentially your father) could have taken, or potentially still can take, action over any defamatory statements that harmed your daughter and/or her business (or potentially your father's health).

It is harder for those related to the one being harassed to move forward with any legal action, however. It would depend on all of the facts and these facts would need to be reviewed personally by an attorney in your area.

Timing is essential, should there be any legal action to pursue. Keep in mind the statute of limitations for filing suit.

Good luck.

Last edited:

davew128

When Lois Griffin's church shunned her because of an adult video tape she made in her youth, her response was a little more direct and effective. Quite honestly, if you or your father are this bent out of shape over what people who walk around all day in bath robes think, I suggest counselling.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.

quincy

When Lois Griffin's church shunned her because of an adult video tape she made in her youth, her response was a little more direct and effective. Quite honestly, if you or your father are this bent out of shape over what people who walk around all day in bath robes think, I suggest counselling.

Glenn Quagmire likes this.
Seriously, davew128? Basing your advice on a tv cartoon series?

(although your counseling suggestion isn't bad)

quincy

I think the analogy is quite valid.
So you were seriously basing your advice on a cartoon series.

Well then. Since you are not going to provide laws or any of that other nonsense that tends to be pretty boring anyway, perhaps a synopsis of Family Guy and Lois Griffin's "direct and effective" response to the similar situation faced by her would be appropriate, for those who have never watched an episode? ;)

davew128

So you were seriously basing your advice on a cartoon series.

Well then. Since you are not going to provide laws or any of that other nonsense that tends to be pretty boring anyway, perhaps a synopsis of Family Guy and Lois Griffin's "direct and effective" response to the similar situation faced by her would be appropriate, for those who have never watched an episode? ;)
I believe Lois confirmed to Brian Griffin that there are no links anywhere on the web to the video in question. :D

quincy

I believe Lois confirmed to Brian Griffin that there are no links anywhere on the web to the video in question. :D
Ha. I am not sure, going by the facts presented by CAnnie, that your analogy is as valid as you think it is - but Lois' response is certainly an alternative approach to consider when confronted by church-crazies. :)

The power some churches exert over their members has never ceased to amaze me. Scientology and all it encompasses, for example, is something I will never ever understand - the physical and emotional pain that results in those who choose to go against the teachings of these churches is real.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Doesnt sound any different than so called cult like behavior (punish the ones who you think are sinners so they feel bad and want to kiss your back side really hard till your so inspired to decide they have repented and are no longer shunned / disfellowshipped/ excommunicated etc ) keep doing what you want to do, those who you thought were your friends who accept this churches so called shun order of you are not your friends!, go find some place else to worship if you must, if anything they do fits the bill of harrassment in your state make complaints. Inspite of all this crap from them keep in mind you dont have to go anywhere and you do not need those peoples approval for any part of your life!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">