• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured on one way parking spike

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quinla01

As per the title. I was jogging onto a beach in LA. There is a bright yellow pedestrian sign with an arrow indicating that it is a walk way leading straight onto the pier. It also happened to be a car park exit with those nasty tire shredding spikes. The red paint that should be on the spikes had mostly worn off and I nailed one of them with my right foot. The description doesn't really do it any justice without seeing photos but there appears to be no way to post them on the forum.

I have been stitched up and told not to walk on it for a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed no lasting damage. The obvious defense is that I should have been watching where I was going but as you're jogging along do you really have your eyes glued to the floor?

What are people's thoughts on making a claim?

quincy

As per the title. I was jogging onto a beach in LA. There is a bright yellow pedestrian sign with an arrow indicating that it is a walk way leading straight onto the pier. It also happened to be a car park exit with those nasty tire shredding spikes. The red paint that should be on the spikes had mostly worn off and I nailed one of them with my right foot. The description doesn't really do it any justice without seeing photos but there appears to be no way to post them on the forum.

I have been stitched up and told not to walk on it for a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed no lasting damage. The obvious defense is that I should have been watching where I was going but as you're jogging along do you really have your eyes glued to the floor?

What are people's thoughts on making a claim?
Hazards should be marked properly but, you are right - you should have been watching where you were going.

Are the spikes easy to see if you are walking and not jogging?

If the costs of your medical treatment for your injury are significant enough, you might want to review the facts with an attorney in your area, to see if it is worth your time and expense to pursue reimbursement. I am not sure there is enough here, though, to make any attorney want to handle the matter for you.

Good luck.

quinla01

Thanks. I'd argue that even walking you could miss them. There are no medical bills. I was on vacation from UK and stood on it just before boarding plane. Beach patrol patched it up and I went straight to A&E from the airport and got stitched up.

It just really surprises me that they stick spikes in the middle of a walk way leading to a beach Pierre, and for what? To stop someone driving into a beach car park the wrong way? A bit OTT

quincy

Thanks. I'd argue that even walking you could miss them. There are no medical bills. I was on vacation from UK and stood on it just before boarding plane. Beach patrol patched it up and I went straight to A&E from the airport and got stitched up.

It just really surprises me that they stick spikes in the middle of a walk way leading to a beach Pierre, and for what? To stop someone driving into a beach car park the wrong way? A bit OTT
I am sorry you were injured on your vacation, quinla01. I hope the rest of your vacation was enjoyable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">