• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injuries in a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

0-0-0

IL

Some family members of mine use to go to this public laundry to wash their clothes during the summer, and when they chose to open the door to get some air (no AC in the place and fans were kept off), the owner (or whoever the guy was that was running the place), closed the doors. Why? Who knows.

So here's the thing: if you don't like it, go elsewhere. Simple, right? Though let's say, for example, that it was so hot in there, that someone suffered an attack of some kind due to the excessive heat. Would the owner be responsible for all medical bills and anything that happened to a paying customer? Are business owners required by law to maintain a certain temperature within their businesses, or is it their legal right to turn it off if they chose to do so?

tranquility

I went to a "fitness" class where the temperature was intentionally set to over a hundred degrees with a fairly high humidity. Intentionally. Set. I could always choose to leave and go somewhere else to twist my body in silly ways.

Same here.

If a person got heat stroke or exhaustion, it would be their own fault and the business would not be responsible. (At least in this situation.) There is always a balancing of the risks in a business. For example, if the doors are open, wouldn't it be easier to have a near-do-well dash in, grab something and run? If that were to happen repeatedly, the business may have some responsibility. Here, the only recourse is to complain. There is almost no chance of a successful lawsuit.

0-0-0

I've heard of those classes before. I think the one I read about was called Kundalini Yoga - they pretty much do the same with regard to high temperatures. I've always wanted to try it, and always, have been too afraid. Maybe one day.

And yea', I kind of figured that the owner wouldn't be liable, though knowing how certain laws "are all over the place", the thought really had me wondering for a minute.

You Are Guilty

If a person got heat stroke or exhaustion, it would be their own fault and the business would not be responsible. (At least in this situation.) There is always a balancing of the risks in a business. For example, if the doors are open, wouldn't it be easier to have a near-do-well dash in, grab something and run? If that were to happen repeatedly, the business may have some responsibility. Here, the only recourse is to complain. There is almost no chance of a successful lawsuit.
CoughJamesRaycough.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/06/22/sweat-lodge-trial-guru-james-arthur-ray-s-homicide-verdict.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">