• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury on city bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona

My wife was on a Dial-a-ride and the women who drove the bus went into a medical center to pick up another passenger and she went 0ver a speed bump she did not see and my wife hurt her sciatic nerve in her back. We were told to go see a physician which she did but now they are giving us a hard tim reimbursing us for the medical visits amounting to around 200 dollars. What can we do?

OHRoadwarrior

It does not appear the driver broke any vehicle operation laws or committed any act which logically led to your wifes injury. I don't see that you have any proof of liability or negligence. It appears to be a latent defect in your wifes body.

justalayman

what did the doctor say? Did he state whatever injury was discovered was or could be caused by the jarring caused by the speed bump issue? What is the diagnosis and prognosis?

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? arizona

My wife was on a Dial-a-ride and the women who drove the bus went into a medical center to pick up another passenger and she went 0ver a speed bump she did not see and my wife hurt her sciatic nerve in her back. We were told to go see a physician which she did but now they are giving us a hard tim reimbursing us for the medical visits amounting to around 200 dollars. What can we do?
It would appear that Dial-a-ride is liable for your wife's injury. Consult with a lawyer!

injury

She went to a doctor and they told her that her sciatic nerve was damaged . She is feeling better now with no pain at all.

justalayman

Driving over a speed bump is negligent?
If you drive over it fast enough to cause injury, yes.

Of course the claim is rebuttable as the driving was prudent or the OP was either already injured or susceptible to injury but based on the OP's statement, there is a possibility the driver was negligent:

women who drove the bus went into a medical center to pick up another passenger and she went 0ver a speed bump she did not see
It would be no different than being a passenger in a vehicle where the driver was culpable for an accident that resulted in an injury to the passenger.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you drive over it fast enough to cause injury, yes.

Of course the claim is rebuttable as the driving was prudent or the OP was either already injured or susceptible to injury but based on the OP's statement, there is a possibility the driver was negligent:
It would be no different than being a passenger in a vehicle where the driver was culpable for an accident that resulted in an injury to the passenger.[/QUOTE]

I don't disagree - Willynilly's statement was presented as a statement of absolute fact, which is improper.

justalayman

She went to a doctor and they told her that her sciatic nerve was damaged . She is feeling better now with no pain at all.

and that was due to?

to be able to seek compensation through the courts (which is where you go when they won't pay willingly), you will have to be able to prove the driver's actions were both negligent and that negligence is what caused the injury. I know I have sciatica issues if I set in a chair too long. Doesn't mean the chair manufacturer is at fault.

W

Willlyjo

It would be no different than being a passenger in a vehicle where the driver was culpable for an accident that resulted in an injury to the passenger.

I don't disagree - Willynilly's statement was presented as a statement of absolute fact, which is improper.[/QUOTE]

My post IS factual! :cool: What is improper about it? You're wrong Zig!! :rolleyes: Even Justy agrees with me! It is what it is! As Justy says, driving over a speed bump in a careless manner resulting in injury to a passenger IS not different than having an accident resulting in injuries of those within the vehicle. Get over it! :rolleyes:

The microscope you've got me under is blurring your vision, Zig. Thanks for playing though. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My post IS factual! :cool: What is improper about it? You're wrong Zig!! :rolleyes: Even Justy agrees with me! It is what it is! As Justy says, driving over a speed bump in a careless manner resulting in
When the statement is qualified (as you have now done) it is no longer a statement of fact, as you made.

Good day.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

OP has not presented any proof they possess any evidence the driver was negligent or imprudent. In fact, if you want to explore the history of speed bumps, Mexico uses them as a primary method of traffic control, rather than using stop and yield signs. I have seen many taxis drive over them, leaving sparks as they bottom out, in Mexico City.

Here is another persons analysis, which I agree 100% with. When you hit an unmarked one, after jamming on your brakes, it is anticlimactic to exclaim "Tope!!!".

Topes are speed bumps. I think they are also a sign to tell you there is a muffler repair or tire repair shop ahead. In Mexico, there are so many, you will think they robbed every parking lot in the world. I was told they put them there because the Mexican drivers would never slow down if they didn´t have to and it would be too dangerous to drive. I drove over them so many times at full speed and even with a motorcycle trailer flying in the air behind me. Be aware when driving in all latin countries, the bus drivers and taxi drivers are the most dangerous. Be aware also in Panama that the drivers here will turn a corner with a stop sign without stopping and then drive only 30-50 kph. You need patience in all areas although except for the speed bumps, Mexico is a lot of fun to drive.

Last edited:

ecmst12

If her sciatic nerve was actually DAMAGED, she would not be perfectly fine and in no pain now. Maybe her nerve was bruised, or maybe there was a muscle spasm that caused some temporary pressure on the nerve, but if the nerve was damaged, she'd be in constant pain permanently. Anything that resolved so completely, so quickly, was an injury that was minor to the point of being negligible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">