• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The insurance adjuster's dog bit MY dog!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoe465

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Today we had a visit from our insurance adjuster to check for hail damage to our roof. The adjuster brought his dog and allowed his dog to run loose on our property. He did NOT ask my permission - we are a rural residential area and my horses were out in the pasture - I would not have allowed it. His dog (a german shepherd mix) then attacked my dog (a 7 lb maltese mix), biting her in the neck and opening up a 1" gash. We took our dog to the emergency vet (since it is a Sunday before Labor Day this is the only option), which is going to rack up a hefty bill.

The adjuster apologized and offered to pay the vet bill, but I don't know if he really will. I am just so furious because this is someone who is representing my INSURANCE COMPANY. The liability of this person allowing his dog to run loose on someone else's property is just mind boggling. What if his dog had bitten my child?

Anyways, fury aside, do I go after the individual to pay the bill (which he may not be able to pay) or call my insurance company and demand that they pay the bill?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

zoe465

A little more information: The adjuster is actually an independent contractor, self-employed. Not a direct employee of my insurance company.

The vet bill will likely be in the $800 - $1000 range.

ecmst12

You can complain to the insurance company and if the appraiser works for another company, you can complain to them too. But HE is the one responsible for the bill.

CJane

Also, if you were present while his dog was running loose on your property and you did not tell him to gain control of his animal/lock it in his truck/confine it in some manner, you DID give him permission - albeit passively - to let his dog run loose.

zoe465

Also, if you were present while his dog was running loose on your property and you did not tell him to gain control of his animal/lock it in his truck/confine it in some manner, you DID give him permission - albeit passively - to let his dog run loose.
I did not know it was his dog until moments before the bite occurred. The adjuster was up on the roof and there was this strange dog running around our property. I didn't know where the dog came from - we live in a rural area so I thought maybe it had gotten loose from a neighbor or something. He never introduced the dog, never mentioned the dog, I did not even see the dog until after the adjustor was on our roof. It never occurred to me that it might belong to him! And since he was up on our roof of course he was not supervising the dog. It roamed all over the yard, into our garage where it scared my mother, out in the pasture with the horses (who fortunately can take care of themsleves). It was not friendly, no tail wagging or anything, so I did not attempt to approach it to look at its tags.

After the adjuster finished his inspection and we were discussing the results, the dog came trotting up to him and he told it to sit, and then I asked, "Is that YOUR dog?" As he said yes, at that very moment my little dog approached and his dog snapped and bit her. So no, I did not give permission either passively or directly because I did not KNOW.

In any case I am tired of talking to the adjuster and trying to work this out in a nice way. I have called my insurance company and I will let them deal with it, since they hired this person as a subcontractor, and it is their logo on his business card, I hold them ultimately responsible for making this right. I'd also like to see him fired for his carelessness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">