• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grovetuckyohio

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am in the process of starting a divorce. I've been with my wife 22 years, 12 married. She started an affair with a co-worker around 1/04, but the worker began pursuing her around 11/03 - 12/03. He called her for three months prior to her calling him, but once she started, it was both ways.

My wife was diagnosed with an STD in Sept. 04 and I started symptoms in July 05. This will greatly hamper my ability to move on with my life and start a new relationship, as the HPV could last anywhere from a few years to a lifetime, most likely only infectious for a few years.

I have been on anti-depressants since the discovery on Jan 30, 05. I've missed numerous days of work. The co-worker broke his "promise" to no longer contact my wife on June 3rd, 2005 and was calling her best friend between March and April of 2004, maybe longer.

My wife and I were in the process of adopting a second child internationally and lost thousands of dollars because of the affair. Obviously we did not adopt another child, which was a huge loss for me.

There is more, but that is a general overview.

Do I have a case against this person?

intentional infliction of emotional distress (IIED)?

seniorjudge

You may be able to join the bad person as a third party to your lawsuit.

Your question is extremely complicated and can only be answered by an excellent family law attorney in your state.

Tim for a lawyer.

Grovetuckyohio

Ohio

Not sure that I understand what you mean by, "You may be able to join the bad person as a third party to your lawsuit."

I figured this might be complicated, and most likely not feasible, but I was interested to see if it was even an option.

Myself and my daughter will suffer because of my wife and this person's actions for the rest of our lives. Yes I will eventually get over this, but I will always have emotional and financial scars from their actions.

Thanks for your input.

seniorjudge

When you (first party) sue your wife (second party) for divorce, ask your lawyer if Ohio law allows you to join the bad person (third party) to your lawsuit.

Some states recognize breaking up of a marriage to be a tort (civil wrong) and allow the harmed person to get money for what the bad person does.

I have no idea if Ohio allows this.

Time for a lawyer.

Grovetuckyohio

thank you very much, that makes sense.

My attorney has been advising me to do nothing to rock the boat, since this would only cause more damage to my wife and my relationship and thus could be difficult for our daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">