• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids sick more than normal - caused by roaches???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swirly6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

We recently moved out of a lease home after being there for six months. The entire six months was awful in many ways. I have never been happier to move from a place. It was a high end rental. We paid a lot for it. So we should not have dealt with half the stuff we did. When we moved in the house was infested with German roaches. I had no clue what they were when we first saw them. I am very familiar with huge tree roaches. They are gross but they come from outside. I can handle that. These were just plain disgusting!!! The house was exterminated before we moved in as requested. Then I had to have it exterminated twice again. While we lived there my children were very ill. They missed three times more school than ever before. One of them even had to have her tonsils removed. As I was moving out I was talking to a neighbor who told me that the sticky brown stuff oozing from my plugs was caused by roaches. I just happened to see something on the news about getting sick from bugs so I researched it. I read so much about illnesses my children had while living there. It made me furious! My question is would I have a leg to stand on if I tried to take my former landlord to court since I did not say anything about it while we were living there? The roaches were known. But I didn't mention my children being ill. TIA!

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

We recently moved out of a lease home after being there for six months. The entire six months was awful in many ways. I have never been happier to move from a place. It was a high end rental. We paid a lot for it. So we should not have dealt with half the stuff we did. When we moved in the house was infested with German roaches. I had no clue what they were when we first saw them. I am very familiar with huge tree roaches. They are gross but they come from outside. I can handle that. These were just plain disgusting!!! The house was exterminated before we moved in as requested. Then I had to have it exterminated twice again. While we lived there my children were very ill. They missed three times more school than ever before. One of them even had to have her tonsils removed. As I was moving out I was talking to a neighbor who told me that the sticky brown stuff oozing from my plugs was caused by roaches. I just happened to see something on the news about getting sick from bugs so I researched it. I read so much about illnesses my children had while living there. It made me furious! My question is would I have a leg to stand on if I tried to take my former landlord to court since I did not say anything about it while we were living there? The roaches were known. But I didn't mention my children being ill. TIA!
How exactly do you intend to prove that living in that house caused tonsillitis and all of the other stuff?

swirly6

How exactly do you intend to prove that living in that house caused tonsillitis and all of the other stuff?
I honestly haven't thought it all the way through. That's one reason I posted here. I'm convinced it was caused from the roaches bc I know my children. And they have never been sick like that before. All 4 of them. I may not be able to prove it. but I will do my best to try. I can show Doctor records compared to past years. And amount of days missed compared to past years.

quincy

I honestly haven't thought it all the way through. That's one reason I posted here. I'm convinced it was caused from the roaches bc I know my children. And they have never been sick like that before. All 4 of them. I may not be able to prove it. but I will do my best to try. I can show Doctor records compared to past years. And amount of days missed compared to past years.
The illnesses suffered by your children could have as easily been caused by the treatments used to eradicate the roaches as they were from the roaches - or even through contact with other kids at school who are ill.

I do not see where tonsillitis would be a common reaction to either treatments or roaches, however. The roaches could cause gastroenteritis, and an allergy to their excretions could cause sneezing and rashes and congestion, and someone with asthma could find the presence of roaches affecting their breath

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">