• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is mailman?PO liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kat12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

While I was visiting my daughter her mailman left a small package on her porch under the Welcome mat. It was directly in front of the door. When I opened the door and stepped out I stepped down on the package causing me to fall. I broke my foot and injured my hip. I feel it was very stupid for the mailman to put this here - could have put it over to the side if he was worried about theft. Should I contact the PO? Are hey at all liable to possibly help pay medical bills?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The following link is not an endorsement - it is simply a link that was returned by a Google search.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/suing-government-negligence-FTCA-29705.html

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

While I was visiting my daughter her mailman left a small package on her porch under the Welcome mat. It was directly in front of the door. When I opened the door and stepped out I stepped down on the package causing me to fall. I broke my foot and injured my hip. I feel it was very stupid for the mailman to put this here - could have put it over to the side if he was worried about theft. Should I contact the PO? Are hey at all liable to possibly help pay medical bills?

I doubt you have a case - you would ordinarily be expected to watch where you're going before taking a step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">