• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Most I can sue someone for Emotional Distress and Mental Anguish

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaecope

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

How much can I sue someone for Mental Anguish and Emotional Distress?
The situation has caused drama in my life, situations where I feel I cant even go to certain places in public anymore, emotional hurt to the point where I'm currently going to therapy now, and have had to go to court several times. It's been over a year and 6 months now, and the person still insists on thinking he can just get away with doing what he's doing. i've attempted to ignore him this whole time despite the troubles he has caused, but he because I've been ignoring him, he feels more "in control" i guess. I plan to sue him after I spoke to my lawyer, but I do not know exactly how much to go for?
The amount isn't too necessary really being he has no assets or property, Im just wondering for reference what is the potential amount to write down. Thank you.

Additional Details
I also want to add this has caused me to get arrested by the police and the individual lied to the police officers. Paid thousands of dollars for a lawyer and bail money while he was the plaintiff and didn't pay anything and laughed. The case was of course dismissed. So obviously, handling this situation like two men, won't resolve anything, being I'll probably be put in jail. This isn't a stranger, its a child hood friend.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

How much can I sue someone for Mental Anguish and Emotional Distress?
The situation has caused drama in my life, situations where I feel I cant even go to certain places in public anymore, emotional hurt to the point where I'm currently going to therapy now, and have had to go to court several times. It's been over a year and 6 months now, and the person still insists on thinking he can just get away with doing what he's doing. i've attempted to ignore him this whole time despite the troubles he has caused, but he because I've been ignoring him, he feels more "in control" i guess. I plan to sue him after I spoke to my lawyer, but I do not know exactly how much to go for?
The amount isn't too necessary really being he has no assets or property, Im just wondering for reference what is the potential amount to write down. Thank you.

Additional Details
I also want to add this has caused me to get arrested by the police and the individual lied to the police officers. Paid thousands of dollars for a lawyer and bail money while he was the plaintiff and didn't pay anything and laughed. The case was of course dismissed. So obviously, handling this situation like two men, won't resolve anything, being I'll probably be put in jail. This isn't a stranger, its a child hood friend.

Pick a number and multiply it by whatever you feel comfortable with.

You've given us no details to show that there is in fact a case here, and nobody can pull a better number out of their head any more than you can.

But seriously, if he has no assets, what's the point? It's going to cost you, not him.

(Please don't say "it's the principle" - lawsuits are about money, not principle)

jaecope

ok well

I dont mind the money. its only a $200 filing fee. And I do have evidence. I've been seeing a mental therapist for the past year and a half about the situation and he can document everything and show this issue has caused emotional problems with myself that i'm having trouble getting over with. The situation happened right before I started mental therapy. So on that note, I do have evidence of this. The point i think of doing this, is just to give the individual the picture that the stuff he's doing really does have a consequence to it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you really want to teach him that he has so much power over you that he can send you into therapy?

jaecope

lol

uh yeah just about lol Than when I win the case, and garnish his checks and have a judgement on him, i'm pretty sure he'll get the picture he went too far. YOu dont agree?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, I will grant that you haven't given many details, but if I were you I'd keep in the back of my mind the fact that you may not win. Based on what little you did post, I don't think your case is as slam dunk as you seem to think it is. And even if you win, the likelihood that you will receive massive damages and get to garnish his checks, is not overwhelmingly high.

You may be the one who ends up learning the lesson. Do yourself a favor, consult with an attorney before you make an utter fool of yourself.

justalayman

Do yourself a favor, consult with an attorney before you make an utter fool of yourself.
and would you advise closing the barn after the horses have already escaped?

I believe it is a bit late for the OP to consider that last bit of advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">