• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving accident- can I be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaf72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I just purchased a house, and I had some friends/co workers help me move. One of my co workers injured himself, requiring a visit to an ER and many stitches and has a broken finger. The injury occurred at my former residence, which is a house I had been renting. My co worker could be out of work for a while due to the nature of his injury. Am I in anyway liable? I am going to offer to pay his ER co-pay.

Banned_Princess

I just purchased a house, and I had some friends/co workers help me move. One of my co workers injured himself, requiring a visit to an ER and many stitches and has a broken finger. The injury occurred at my former residence, which is a house I had been renting. My co worker could be out of work for a while due to the nature of his injury. Am I in anyway liable? I am going to offer to pay his ER co-pay.
How did he injure himself?

jaf72

Moving a washer out of the basement. It fell down the stairs onto him and he gashed his arm open and broke a finger.

Just Blue

Moving a washer out of the basement. It fell down the stairs onto him and he gashed his arm open and broke a finger.
Do you have renters insurance? Does the injured friend have health insurance?

Non legal advice: Hire Professionals to move your items. Save a lot of back-problems.;):)

jaf72

Hi again-

He has health insurance, but a $100 ER copay, which I will pay. I do not have renter's insurance. And I will never, ever move without professional movers again. What a nightmare.

mistole

If the owner of the property has insurance on the property, your coworker can file a claim with their insurance. Your insurance is primary and the owner/landlord's insurance is secondary. Since you don't have insurance, that would mean that the owner's insurance would automatically kick in.

Based on your story. Your friend is helping you to move to your newly purchased house. Well, you're asking if you are liable? Your not, because it was an accident and no one wants it to happen. I appreciate that you want to help your friend in the medical issues that cause by the accident I think that was the best thing you can do for him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on your story. Your friend is helping you to move to your newly purchased house. Well, you're asking if you are liable? Your not, because it was an accident and no one wants it to happen. I appreciate that you want to help your friend in the medical issues that cause by the accident I think that was the best thing you can do for him.
I see you finding dead threads to post to and making stuff up. In this case, you are WRONG.

sammathew

First thing, you are not liable to pay him, as the accident was unintentional and he was helping on his free will. The most important thing here is that you don't have a renter's insurance, which is the first thing that a person should have. As you are moving to a new house, just get your your insurance done and consider it to be the top most priority.

ecmst12

Indeed, ALL accidents are unintentional, that's what makes them accidents. If it was intentional, it would be a crime!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">