• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My bf committed suicide but lafd did nothing to save his life stand off for 5 hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nattytat

My bf committed suicide lafd did not put any safety cushions. They watched him jump five hours later do I have a case

Prior to that he was in county jail where tre jailers denied to provide him w his civil rights by deniying him with protective custody , instead they kept trying to put him in general population where a large amount of inmates threatened to kill him so he had no choice but to try to kill himself so they put him on suicide watch but never in P. C . . The sheriffs that were there ranted him and tried to intimidate him by making him watch inmates getting stab on a video. So I bailed him out because he was so scared of his mind . When he was out all he would obsess about was how he was gonna kill himself before u went back to county . So a month passed by and the. Bounty hunter came look t for him and had already plane she was going to jump off the roof of his house which he did. He was up there for five bourse and lafd did nothing but watch him jump. Didn't even try to save him. Plus they had a spot light on him the whole time . He then died arriving to the hospital where they put him under John Doe when they knew his real name. Do I have a case

quincy

My bf committed suicide lafd did not put any safety cushions. They watched him jump five hours later do I have a case

Prior to that he was in county jail where tre jailers denied to provide him w his civil rights by deniying him with protective custody , instead they kept trying to put him in general population where a large amount of inmates threatened to kill him so he had no choice but to try to kill himself so they put him on suicide watch but never in P. C . . The sheriffs that were there ranted him and tried to intimidate him by making him watch inmates getting stab on a video. So I bailed him out because he was so scared of his mind . When he was out all he would obsess about was how he was gonna kill himself before u went back to county . So a month passed by and the. Bounty hunter came look t for him and had already plane she was going to jump off the roof of his house which he did. He was up there for five bourse and lafd did nothing but watch him jump. Didn't even try to save him. Plus they had a spot light on him the whole time . He then died arriving to the hospital where they put him under John Doe when they knew his real name. Do I have a case
Not as his girlfriend you don't have a case. His family members might.

As a note: No one can really be blamed for someone committing suicide. I am sorry for your loss.

Proserpina

I'm sorry, but as you are the girlfriend/boyfriend you don't have standing to sue even if there was case to be had.

CdwJava

I am sorry that this happened. Some people are, sadly, overwhelmed by situations they find themselves in and cannot cope appropriately.

To put a little perspective on at least a couple of elements of this situation, I have to say that there's not a whole lot the LAFD could do to prevent someone from jumping off a building. Neither they or the police are going to risk their lives to try and grab him off the rooftop, and there are not nets or big air pillows readily available for suicide attempts like you sometimes see on TV ... which, if someone intends to kill themself, they are simply going to avoid anyway.

And very often the person is booked into the hospital as a John Doe for a few possible reasons - not that it matters at all with regard to treatment. But, he could have been a John Doe because the transporting medics did NOT know his name, or they had no identifying info other than a possible name, or a few different possible names. Further, that status may be that hospital's means of placing the patient on a media and public blackout to keep the press or lookie-loos from gathering.

And, as mentioned, on the OFF CHANCE that someone somewhere can be found liable for something, YOU do not have standing to sue. Ultimately, a suicide is not likely to result in someone else being found liable to begin with ... unless someone pushed him off, gave him the idea to jump, or in some other way knowingly contributed to his taking this action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">