• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My daughter had lead poisoning help!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smbray1986

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

In October my family and I moved into a new apartment. Before we moved in the landlord told us he was having it LEAD certified. We moved in thinking that was taken care of. Today I get a call from my daughters doctor saying she has high levels of LEAD in her body (6). I had to leave work and bring her to get more blood work done. This is the only place she could have received it. After getting this information I started looking into the laws. According to MA law the landlord was required to give us documents about the LEAD issue and a booklet about it. He never did that nor did I ever see anything about the LEAD issue. All i know is what he told me via phone call and text. If I get the call that her levels are still high what should I do? Can I sue him? If she had high levels I will need to begin taking her for tests every couple months.. also we are moving in a month, we have had nothing but issues since moving here, from harassment to threats. I have had to call the police three times already. When I would bring my issues to the landlord he would turn around and tell us that its our fault and that the other tenants are telling him stuff about us. (all lies) So hes already chosen his side.. unfortunately and this is the nicest way to put this.. hes a slumlord and the other people who lives here are just as low as him. They live in their own filth.. etc. Im glad we are moving and for months I debated on taking him to court for multiple things and then decided it was best to just ignore him and move.. but now my daughter has LEAD poisoning!!!! Im so upset and angry. I need to know what to do???

quincy

It is important to know whether the lead level measured in your daughter's blood is from short term exposure (acute toxicity) or long term exposure (chronic toxicity) - and it is important to know what your living conditions were like prior to moving into this new apartment.

Although I understand that you are upset, I caution you not to defame your landlord by making claims that are not provably true.

Here is a link to Massachusetts' lead law requirements: http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/departments/dph/programs/environmental-health/exposure-topics/lead/lead/massachusetts-lead-law-requirement.html

You can consult with an attorney in your area of Massachusetts for a review of the facts as you know them. The attorney you see can let you know better whether there is any legal action available for you to take.

I am sorry to hear that your daughter has been exposed to lead. I wish her the best.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The first thing: remove your daughter from the suspected contaminating environment. There are some simple screening tests that you can purchase so you can do some tests yourself.
How old is your daughter? Is there peeling paint there. Is there some place other than inside your unit she could have come into contact with such paint. I recall some cases not too long ago where the lead paint was like out on the front steps rather than inside the building.

Information available here: http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/departments/dph/programs/environmental-health/exposure-topics/lead/lead

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">