• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my neighbor claims my dog bit her

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mirandamay1984

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in kentucky
for over a year now my neighbor has been feeding my dog every day. they put out food by there back door for him. but after we caught their son trying to get his pit bull to attack my dog (a beagle mix) they are saying that he is visious and mean, one is saying that he bit her. My dog was trained by them to go to there house every evening to eat, and they have said that they frelt like he was their dog too.
my question: How do I protect myself? We are currently pressing charges against their son because he threatened to come in our house and kill us the night we caught him trying to fight the two dogs, and I have no dought wgar so ever that that is why she is saying that our dog bit her.
IS their test that can be preformed to determin if it was our dog that bit her?

mirandamay1984

yes our dog has ran loose for over a year. the bite supposidly occured yesterday (3-24-11).
we have talked to the dog warden and have put our dog up now. according to the DW he has to be quarentined for ten days.
But the more I think about this the more I realise that our dog could not have bit her. He is non-aggresive. I was feeding him earlier and took some food right out of his mouth all he would do was look at me. My mother-in-law and my 4-year old child hand feed him. And it is not like he doesn't know my neighbor, she has been feeding him daily for over a year.
She saw me were my dog was supposed to have bitten her and the marks on her hand were to far apart to have been made by my dog.
So I am not worried.
There is no way she could prove that my dog bit her, and due to our current situation her testimony olone would never be enough to have us convicted of anything.
I'f say if she was bit it was by one of her own dogs, the pit bull they keep out side and have tried to teach to attack, or one of the three inside that are known to be aggressive.
but thank you all for commenting.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
yes our dog has ran loose for over a year. the bite supposidly occured yesterday (3-24-11).
So again - why do you let your dog run loose to go over there, especially knowing there are aggressive dogs? That's just.... stupid.

But the more I think about this the more I realise that our dog could not have bit her. He is non-aggresive. I was feeding him earlier and took some food right out of his mouth all he would do was look at me. My mother-in-law and my 4-year old child hand feed him. And it is not like he doesn't know my neighbor, she has been feeding him daily for over a year.
More idiocy - even the most placid dog can bite. Even someone they know.

CJane

So again - why do you let your dog run loose to go over there, especially knowing there are aggressive dogs? That's just.... stupid.
Exactly. And while my Beagle pup can and routinely DOES kick the azz of my mastiff pup (who outweighs him by a good 100 lbs), I still wouldn't let my beagle pup run loose.

I wouldn't intentionally allow ANY of my dogs to run loose, though the unforeseen escape from the yard occasionally happens.

And Beagles are SO prone to obesity that I wouldn't let someone else feed mine either.

Also, beagles, like lots of other hounds are very prone to biting, nipping and food aggression when improperly socialized.

More idiocy - even the most placid dog can bite. Even someone they know.
This is like people who are surprised when the family lab eats the baby's face.

Some people just shouldn't own dogs.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Allowing a dog to run loose is simply asking for trouble. Whether it be a run-in with a car, a wild animal, another dog or whatever. Fenced yard, or leash. Unless you're running a pack - which is a completely different scenario.

I also have beagles, and I wouldn't allow someone else to feed them, either. Not so much due to overeating, but - I'm sorry - I had a dog poisoned by a (once friendly) neighbor when I was much younger, and I'm not going through that again. The only ones who feed them are members of the household.

My Pen would occasionally nip, and it took a lot of work to train that out of her. Jazzy will still sometimes get a bug in his head and forget himself if he snags something he shouldn't have - even though my kids are older, I make it plain to them that I would prefer they leave it to me to deal with, because if anyone's going to get bitten, I would prefer it to be me. (And I have been.) I work with him every day to prevent a recurrence.

CJane

My Pen would occasionally nip, and it took a lot of work to train that out of her. Jazzy will still sometimes get a bug in his head and forget himself if he snags something he shouldn't have - even though my kids are older, I make it plain to them that I would prefer they leave it to me to deal with, because if anyone's going to get bitten, I would prefer it to be me. (And I have been.) I work with him every day to prevent a recurrence.
Yup. They're tenacious and forget themselves, and people forget that they're working dogs who are supposed to be tenacious and fierce when hunting.

Brian is only about 8 months old, so he's still got the puppy-ish nipping thing happening occasionally, but he's (hopefully) learning "leave it" so he's at least shifting his attention away from whatever object he has, if not dropping it, before anyone tries to take anything away from him.

And all three dogs are taught to sit quietly when fed until I give them permission to eat. With a (so far) 130lb Mastiff pup, I can't afford food boisterousness, let alone food aggressiveness.

All of that said, I can't believe OP continued to allow the dog to run loose AFTER supposedly catching the neighbor's child encouraging a fight between the two dogs.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Given that OP hasn't been back even to read, I'd say she really doesn't care about her dog all that much. <shrug>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">