• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My pet knocked over a person at a friend's house while she was taking care of our pet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcolombo24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
My friend was caring for our dog at her house while we were on vacation. Her cousin was visiting, and while she was sitting in a chair, my dog jumped up on her and knocked her over, resulting in her bumping her head. She now claims she has a compressed disc, and may need surgery. Am I liable?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California
My friend was caring for our dog at her house while we were on vacation. Her cousin was visiting, and while she was sitting in a chair, my dog jumped up on her and knocked her over, resulting in her bumping her head. She now claims she has a compressed disc, and may need surgery. Am I liable?
No you are not. The friend that was doggy sitting is liable.

CdwJava

Well, the friend may be liable at some point, but it could take a lawsuit to enforce that liability. In the meantime, the person with the injury - or their insurance company - is likely to go after the pet owner in addition to the friend whose house the dog was at.

To start, I would contact my homeowner's insurance and notify them of a potential claim.

Remember, a person can sue anyone for anything. The injured party may well sue both the friend AND the pet owner. All because the pet owner may not ultimately liable doesn't mean that they may not incur some costs due to the claim and contesting it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">