• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son is dead. Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GodsAngel1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado. My 19 year old son commited suicide while in the custody of our county jail. He was serving 90 days and had only two weeks left. The jail medical staff had put him on both Prozac and Xanex, and then missed the scheduled follow up visit the day before he died. They tell me that he was missing for 45 minutes before they found him. Apparently there was no gaurd on duty in the kitchen, where he was working? He returned there after a visit that upset him to the point of vomiting, but my understanding of jail protocol is that when an inmate is upset to that point, they are to be taken to holding for observation. He had been placed on suicide watch one time since entering custody. There are many things that do not add up and the county officials are not offering any answers. The report that we were given had many incongruencies and even some outright falsities. I need to know if I have a case against the county. If so, what grounds can I go on and if there is any attorney out there willing to pursue it for me. I have more questions than I do answers and I need some help.

las365

I am sorry for your loss.

The questions and issues involved in this situation are far too complex to be adequately addressed on a message board. You should seek consultation with attorneys who handle cases involving the civil rights of incarcerated persons. The internet can be a good way to find a lawyer, especially because there are not that many who take on this sort of matter.

You may or may not have a viable civil case. You may or may not get answers that give you some measure of resolution in at least knowing what happened. I wish for you to be able to find some peace. I send my condolences to you and your family.

teflon_jones

I am sorry for your loss.

The questions and issues involved in this situation are far too complex to be adequately addressed on a message board. You should seek consultation with attorneys who handle cases involving the civil rights of incarcerated persons. The internet can be a good way to find a lawyer, especially because there are not that many who take on this sort of matter.

You may or may not have a viable civil case. You may or may not get answers that give you some measure of resolution in at least knowing what happened. I wish for you to be able to find some peace. I send my condolences to you and your family.
+1 on all of this. You need a criminal lawyer, not an internet message board!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">