• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need guidance on injury that went to trial and lost

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enzop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My mother was involved in a personal injury situation where she sued two defendants on a fall where she stepped on a slippery surface in a parking lot. She's had 3 surgeries and years of therapy since that fall. One defendant settled for $125,000, of that, 40%+fees went to my lawyer and the rest went to her. Of the money that went to her, 24k was placed into escrow to pay for bills Medicare was covering + an additional $1,000 retainer for lawyer fees on retainer. The trial proceeded against the 2nd defendant and she lost the case due to some shoddy work (the lawyer never presented the witness of the fall in the trial) and the defendant was found not guilty. As the defendant was found not guilty, Medicare will cover all medical expenses. Her lawyer is telling my mother that her money that was placed in escrow from her part of the settlement to cover expenses is now his money since it will be used to cover his fees! So far he has obtained 64k from the initial settlement and he’s going after the 24k in escrow. He wants a total of 88k with my mother getting only 36k.

Does this seem right to you? His fees were already paid out of the initial settlement for work done up to that point and the additional work done was contingent on him winning the case since his payment is linked to settlements won. The 24k in escrow is already from the initial settlement split (her cut) and was slated to pay Medicare and I believe he should not be entitled to her cut. Can you offer any advice in this area? I know you'd need to see the contract and settlement document, maybe I can redact the personal info and show it to you if needed? My mom lives off of social security, has no savings, and is in pain every day. I don't want him to screw her over any more than he already has so your help would be appreciated.

Regards

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My mother was involved in a personal injury situation where she sued two defendants on a fall where she stepped on a slippery surface in a parking lot. She's had 3 surgeries and years of therapy since that fall. One defendant settled for $125,000, of that, 40%+fees went to my lawyer and the rest went to her. Of the money that went to her, 24k was placed into escrow to pay for bills Medicare was covering + an additional $1,000 retainer for lawyer fees on retainer. The trial proceeded against the 2nd defendant and she lost the case due to some shoddy work (the lawyer never presented the witness of the fall in the trial) and the defendant was found not guilty. As the defendant was found not guilty, Medicare will cover all medical expenses. Her lawyer is telling my mother that her money that was placed in escrow from her part of the settlement to cover expenses is now his money since it will be used to cover his fees! So far he has obtained 64k from the initial settlement and he’s going after the 24k in escrow. He wants a total of 88k with my mother getting only 36k.

Does this seem right to you? His fees were already paid out of the initial settlement for work done up to that point and the additional work done was contingent on him winning the case since his payment is linked to settlements won. The 24k in escrow is already from the initial settlement split (her cut) and was slated to pay Medicare and I believe he should not be entitled to her cut. Can you offer any advice in this area? I know you'd need to see the contract and settlement document, maybe I can redact the personal info and show it to you if needed? My mom lives off of social security, has no savings, and is in pain every day. I don't want him to screw her over any more than he already has so your help would be appreciated.

Regards
Personal review of a contract is beyond the scope of this forum. You should seek the assistance of an attorney local to your mom's case for a review of the contract.

enzop

Personal review of a contract is beyond the scope of this forum. You should seek the assistance of an attorney local to your mom's case for a review of the contract.

What are your thoughts on this situation, the contract she signed was a standard contract where fees are paid from settlements, 40% of recovered fees plus expenses. Have you ever heard of a situation where a lawyer would raid the escrow account assigned to pay medical bills once the case was lost and medical expenses were then covered by insurance? As a side note, I pay into a lawyer group but they wouldn't really help me since this is for my mom and not me. They looked at it and said they didn't see why the lawyer finds the escrow belongs to him now but they wouldn't go into too much detail because they weren't allowed to assist my mother since she wasn't covered in my plan.

Zigner

What are your thoughts on this situation, the contract she signed was a standard contract where fees are paid from settlements, 40% of recovered fees plus expenses. Have you ever heard of a situation where a lawyer would raid the escrow account assigned to pay medical bills once the case was lost and medical expenses were then covered by insurance? As a side note, I pay into a lawyer group but they wouldn't really help me since this is for my mom and not me. They looked at it and said they didn't see why the lawyer finds the escrow belongs to him now but they wouldn't go into too much detail because they weren't allowed to assist my mother since she wasn't covered in my plan.
Really: Personal review of a contract is beyond the scope of this forum. You should seek the assistance of an attorney local to your mom's case for a review of the contract.

enzop

Really: Personal review of a contract is beyond the scope of this forum. You should seek the assistance of an attorney local to your mom's case for a review of the contract.
Ok, I wasn't asking you to make a binding declaration, I was just looking for some legal guidance as to whether this was something you've ever seen before. We don't have a lot of money and so I wanted to know if spending hundreds of dollars to get this looked at was worth it by finding out if any legal experts here have heard of this kind of thing happening before.

Zigner

Ok, I wasn't asking you to make a binding declaration, I was just looking for some legal guidance as to whether this was something you've ever seen before. We don't have a lot of money and so I wanted to know if spending hundreds of dollars to get this looked at was worth it by finding out if any legal experts here have heard of this kind of thing happening before.
Whether we've heard of it or not is pretty much irrelevant. Your mom would need to have her signed contract reviewed by an attorney to see if the other party is complying with the terms of the contract.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Here's the thing: if Mom has a legal problem, she needs an attorney. If she has a plumbing problem, she needs a plumber. Medical=doctor.

A couple of years ago, I woke up with an enormous toothache. What did I do?

They're all just professionals who, like everyone else, get paid for their work.

enzop

I understand what you're saying, would I need to pay to get something like this reviewed for an initial consultation or would this be a free consultation type thing? If it's fee based just for consultation, how much would something like this run me?

Zigner

I understand what you're saying, would I need to pay to get something like this reviewed for an initial consultation or would this be a free consultation type thing? If it's fee based just for consultation, how much would something like this run me?
Again, there's no way we can guess. You might find an attorney who will look it over for free or cheap, or you might be asked to pay a lot. Ask the attorneys that you call.

quincy

... A couple of years ago, I woke up with an enormous toothache. What did I do? ...
You came to this forum and we told you to see a dentist? :)

enzop, here are links to Florida's Rules of Professional Conduct and to Rule 5-1.1 Trust Accounts:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/ethics/fl/code/FL_CODE.HTM

https://www.floridabar.org/divexe/rrtfb.nsf/FV/6D5B076E51CCBC9985257172004C0105

Your mother might be able to find low-cost/free contract-review at a law school legal clinic or, depending on your mother's age, at a legal clinic for senior citizens.

enzop

enzop, here are links to Florida's Rules of Professional Conduct and to Rule 5-1.1 Trust Accounts:

Your mother might be able to find low-cost/free contract-review at a law school legal clinic or, depending on your mother's age, at a legal clinic for senior citizens.
Thanks, I appreciate the links, I will read them over. She's in her mid 70s so she should qualify for a legal clinic for seniors but I'd have to find one that is legit. I know a lot of places prey on the elderly like this lawyer did..

enzop

I think I found my answer on the trust account issue, it says here the funds can't be placed in escrow for one purpose and then used for another purpose such as attorney fees. Is a trust fund another name for escrow account?

"(b) Application of Trust Funds or Property to Specific Purpose. Money or other property entrusted to an attorney for a specific purpose, including advances for fees, costs, and expenses, is held in trust and must be applied only to that purpose. Money and other property of clients coming into the hands of an attorney are not subject to counterclaim or setoff for attorney’s fees, and a refusal to account for and deliver over such property upon demand shall be deemed a conversion."

quincy

I think I found my answer on the trust account issue, it says here the funds can't be placed in escrow for one purpose and then used for another purpose such as attorney fees. Is a trust fund another name for escrow account?

"(b) Application of Trust Funds or Property to Specific Purpose. Money or other property entrusted to an attorney for a specific purpose, including advances for fees, costs, and expenses, is held in trust and must be applied only to that purpose. Money and other property of clients coming into the hands of an attorney are not subject to counterclaim or setoff for attorney’s fees, and a refusal to account for and deliver over such property upon demand shall be deemed a conversion."
Another name for trust account is escrow account.

Here is a Florida Bar Ethics Opinion, Opinion 93-2: http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/tfbetopin.nsf/SearchView/ETHICS,+OPINION+93-2?opendocument

And here are links to legal help for seniors available in Florida (I am not sure how current the information is):

http://floridalawhelp.org/resource/florida-senior-legal-helpline
http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea/legal_services.php

Your mother will want her contract with the attorney personally reviewed by an attorney in her area, as earlier advised. We cannot do contract reviews on this forum.

Good luck.

enzop

Another name for trust account is escrow account.

Here is a Florida Bar Ethics Opinion, Opinion 93-2: http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/tfbetopin.nsf/SearchView/ETHICS,+OPINION+93-2?opendocument

And here are links to legal help for seniors available in Florida (I am not sure how current the information is):

http://floridalawhelp.org/resource/florida-senior-legal-helpline
http://elderaffairs.state.fl.us/doea/legal_services.php

Your mother will want her contract with the attorney personally reviewed by an attorney in her area, as earlier advised. We cannot do contract reviews on this forum.

Good luck.
Thanks, I really appreciate the guidance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">