• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors dogs killed my little dog.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Josie55

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Don't know if this is the right forum,but..
A few days ago the neighbors St. Bernards (2 of them ) pulled my little guy through the fence and viciously killed him. He must have had his head out barking at them to run the fence with him. He thought they were his buddies.
The same dogs tore apart a cat just a week earlier and the neighbor pretty much had to stand and watch because she couldn't get near them to stop it and they didn't listen to her. The dogs roamed the neighborhood 3-4 days a week when the neighbors weren't home and I usually had to get them and put them back in the barn.
After they killed our baby the animal warden suggested they be put down and she agreed.(she still has another dog -a chow mix)
Her insurance company called me and said they were accepting liability and wanted to send a check for the vet bill of 300.00. My question is Is this all she is responsible for? Is this all she has to do here, pay a vet bill?What is the name of your state?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Don't know if this is the right forum,but..
A few days ago the neighbors St. Bernards (2 of them ) pulled my little guy through the fence and viciously killed him. He must have had his head out barking at them to run the fence with him. He thought they were his buddies.
The same dogs tore apart a cat just a week earlier and the neighbor pretty much had to stand and watch because she couldn't get near them to stop it and they didn't listen to her. The dogs roamed the neighborhood 3-4 days a week when the neighbors weren't home and I usually had to get them and put them back in the barn.
After they killed our baby the animal warden suggested they be put down and she agreed.(she still has another dog -a chow mix)
Her insurance company called me and said they were accepting liability and wanted to send a check for the vet bill of 300.00. My question is Is this all she is responsible for? Is this all she has to do here, pay a vet bill?What is the name of your state?
You could also get the value of the dog. But a dog is considered property and you don't get pain and suffering for property. I am sorry for your loss....:(

Josie55

Thank you

Someone did tell me that pets are considered property. It is hard to wrap my mind around that. Seems archaic. He was my comfort when the boys left for college. He was my muse, sitting on my lap as I pounded away on the computer keyboard until all hours. Property doesn't love you back. Doesn't cry when you leave and rejoice when you get home. Doesn't expect you to take care of them. My storm door doesn't care if I wash it's window or not. My car has a value in a dollar amount and I would sell it for that amount. There wasn't enough money in the world for someone to buy Scooter.
This woman's little grandson visits a lot. It could have been him the dogs killed. She didn't consider him after the attack on the cat. It was pure negligence that she still had those dogs and allowed them to run loose.
Well I guess I take the 300.00 and do my best to make this woman's life very difficult. Nothing illegal of course. Thanks for the answer and a forum to vent a little, Josie

gawm

A very unfortunate situation. I too am also sorry for your loss. I have a few suggestions and a little advice.

Well I guess I take the 300.00 and do my best to make this woman's life very difficult.
This is a very troubling quote, As hard as it sounds right now, don't go out of your way to make this persons life difficult. It won't bring Scooter back. Yes she may be a person who shouldn't have dogs, but I can guarantee you she did not want her dogs to do what they did to your dog. Her dogs also paid a price for her negligence. Try to let it go, it will also help with the healing process.

This woman's little grandson visits a lot. It could have been him the dogs killed.
Just because a dog is animal aggressive does not mean it is, or will be human aggressive.
Some dogs are both, but just because a dog attacks another animal does not mean it will attack a child.

From your post it is not clear if you share a fence line with this lady or not, but if you do decide to get another dog, I recommend securing your yard so the dog can not stick it's head through. I'm not saying you were at fault at all. It's just better for the safety of your pet.

tyciol

The best bet on settling things seems to be getting an assessment for the value of your pet and suing them for it.

Beyond that, you might also try to get this dog removed, since it is obviously dangerous and violent. What was a dog just might have easily been someone's baby. It won't bring your pet back, but it might comfort you to learn you've done what's possible to prevent further tragedy occuring to others.

I really don't see why we can't get pain and suffering... you can get that if someone vandalizes your property or calls you a name can't you? Killing a pet can definately do that. I guess the problem would be, if the person didn't actually make their dog attack yours, it's hard to blame them for it. Their irresponsibility is responsible, but it may be lacking in a destructive attitude.

VeronicaLodge

TN has a statute for wrongful death of a pet, i think you can sue for 10k, not sure. check and see if OH has such a statute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">