• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Smoking Law. Looking for advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

primmo

A few days ago, I was given a citation for smoking in a non smoking zone/city. The police officer saw me standing, at the corner of the street, lighting my cigarrette; I walked across to the other side of the street and was stopped and given the citation. This happened right at the beginning of business day too. Nowhere around where I was standing I saw a sign that said that the city of Burbank, California is a non smoking city. I asked the police officer to let me know where a sign was that said non smoking and he replied that they were all over town. I had just gotten to Burbank to purchase some stuff from one the stores. Looking for advice whether I have grounds for a lawsuit.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

A few days ago, I was given a citation for smoking in a non smoking zone/city. The police officer saw me standing, at the corner of the street, lighting my cigarrette; I walked across to the other side of the street and was stopped and given the citation. This happened right at the beginning of business day too. Nowhere around where I was standing I saw a sign that said that the city of Burbank, California is a non smoking city. I asked the police officer to let me know where a sign was that said non smoking and he replied that they were all over town. I had just gotten to Burbank to purchase some stuff from one the stores. Looking for advice whether I have grounds for a lawsuit.
**A: you can sue but you won't win. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A LAWSUIT? Are you NUTS?

Of course you don't have grounds for a lawsuit. You don't even have grounds to disput the ticket.

sandyclaus

Nope, not going to get off that easily.

I happened to work in Burbank for several years, and know for a fact that at least their downtown areas and especially their shopping areas have ample signage telling visitors that it is a non-smoking community. Perhaps you were too busy lighting up to notice them?

And really, what kind of lawsuit would you propose here? YOU were the one who broke the law...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">