• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Off Leash Dog attacked my dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nalnk

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ (Monmouth County)

Out walking my dog yesterday, on leash of course! Off leash dog comes charging at us. He was with its owner on their front lawn. I yelled out my dog is friendly!

The two dogs sniffed, etc... and all of a sudden it started. My dog is fine, that God! The owner came running over.... It was hard to stop but he grabbed it and held it. It was showing its fangs.

If something would have happened, who would have been at fault. What rights do I have to protect myself and my dog. I want to carry something with me to ward off any future problems.

Am I legally allowed to say for example, direct an air horn at the attacking dog.... The owner might see it and get crazy with me that I do something like that..I want to be able to say it's my right to protect myself and my dog.

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">