• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old lady tripped in flea market and blamed me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihot

Here’s something that happened to me recently – quite an eye opener. Maybe we all can learn from this:

I was on my one knee feeding my 8 year old daughter a corn chip in a tented stall in a flea market. I was holding plastic bags of vegetables in my other hand.
A little old lady tripped about 4 feet from me. She landed on her face and was not able to get up as she was overweight. I watched for almost 15 secs and was upset that No one helped her up. I laid my plastic bags on the floor and went to assist her - turned her to a sitting position with her buttocks to the floor. She had slight bleeding on her lip and forehead. I looked around and found a sheepish young Chinese man hanging around. I asked him if she was his mom. Almost begrudgingly, he answered yes. I was incredulous, that this idiot let his mom lie face down on the cold parking lot (where the flea market was held) and did not help her up.
I then asked him to help me lift her off the ground and we sat her in a chair close by.

Out of kindness of my heart, I gave him my phone number and told him that I will donate $20 towards buying her a new pair of glasses (that got smashed).
The following weeks, he called, blaming me for tripping her mom. He claimed that he saw me making a turn into the covered tent of the stall, and his mom tripped on my tote bag on rollers that I have dragged behind me. Lately, he claims that her replacement glasses cost $200 and wants me to compensate her. He started to cuss me out for telling lies. She did not incur any medical bills neither did she go to a doctor after that fall. There must have been over 4 people standing around me when the accident occured - it was a crowded flea market. Anyone of those people could have tripped her. She herself said she tripped over a brick (but we don't think there were bricks laying around). He claims he can sue me, but he only has my phone number, not my name nor address.

I donate money to poor people all the time, so my wife and I were thinking of donating $100 but have him sign a release form - releasing me from blame. I want him to acknowledge in writing that this $100 is only a donation - not my recognition of any liability to her.

No wonder no one helped that little old lady who tripped and fell !!

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

What should I do? He claims he can sue me, but he only has my phone number, not my name nor address.
Change your phone number, and if he sues, call a lawyer.

Remember the old saying "Millions for defense, not a penny for tribute".

swalsh411

Is he still calling? If he does, I would tell him that if he calls one more time you will report the harassment to the police and hang up.

justalayman

a lot can be found with only a phone number if one knows how or where to get that information. Never figure you are safe because "all they have is my phone number"

if he doesn't have your name, who does he ask for when he calls, or at least originally called; (in your best Jerry Lewis voice) "Hey Lady"? Not that it really makes any difference though. Your info can be obtained in other ways, especially if he was to sue you (he isn't going to)

I donate money to poor people all the time,
a bit prejudiced? How do you now she was a poor person?

I love the story about an elderly couple that lived in a mobile home park. They appeared to struggle with bills and such just like everybody else. The neighbors all figured they lived on SS or such due to the well worn clothes and general lifestyle. Nobody knew, until they died, they had a couple million dollars in the bank. Somebody made the statement; they lived through the depression and at that time they realized they needed to save their money for a rainy day but that rainy day apparently never came.

but really, if you donate money to poor people all the time and you believe this woman falls into that category, why not just pay for the glasses and be done with it? I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. With this woman, it must be that magical $100. What difference does it make if you give her $200 or $100. After all, you aren't one of the poor people, right? The difference isn't really that much.

Yes, I have a negative attitude about this. You aren't considering giving her the money because you think she deserves it. You are considering it because you think it will buy her off and are trying to make it look like it's such a wonderful gesture (evidenced by the fact that you always donate money to poor people).

Either give her the $200 bucks because your are philanthropic or tell them to get lost because it sounds like a scam but don't confuse the two.

but stevef; call a lawyer if they file a suit? Unless they list a much greater claim for damages, it just wouldn't be worth it.

ihot

Thanks everyone for your input.
I'm actually an average guy with a good job and no debt. So $100 vs $200 makes a difference. I don't have money to donate to everyone.
Their son is nice in that he has not called for two weeks. So far he only only called thrice.

Yes, I have heard stories of rich people who feigned poverty.

I'll pay you guys back with a Stock Tip - buy lots of an ETF symbol EPV whenever Europe is crashing. Sell it as soon as ECB and FED comes to the rescue.
EPV shorts Europeans stocks.

CJane

I'm intrigued with the idea of "feeding" an 8 year old a corn chip. An 8 year old that needs fed? For real?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">