• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Optometrist Landlord & Maintenance Man Liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

assytay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan,my landlords maintenance man broke into my home breaking the door glass and did not even fix it. It was in January and cold and snowing here so I needed to get it sealed up and that is when the top of my thumb was nearly severed.Landlord wrote a prescription for antibiotic but it soon became infected and was pushing out glass fragments so I went to the emergency room for treatment. It took several weeks for all the glass to come out and infection to clear. The maintenance man then broke in again and stole my dog which was more devastating than my thumb. I have since found out he told the landlord he was using crystal meth the whole time this was going on and yet he kept him working.The guy said he would pay the bills but here it is April and he is no where to be found. What do I do from here? I think they are both liable.:mad:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan,my landlords maintenance man broke into my home breaking the door glass and did not even fix it. It was in January and cold and snowing here so I needed to get it sealed up and that is when the top of my thumb was nearly severed.Landlord wrote a prescription for antibiotic but it soon became infected and was pushing out glass fragments so I went to the emergency room for treatment. It took several weeks for all the glass to come out and infection to clear. The maintenance man then broke in again and stole my dog which was more devastating than my thumb. I have since found out he told the landlord he was using crystal meth the whole time this was going on and yet he kept him working.The guy said he would pay the bills but here it is April and he is no where to be found. What do I do from here? I think they are both liable.:mad:
Why EXACTLY did the LLs maintenance man break into your apartment?? :confused:

As for the broken glass and your thumb injury, the LL/maintenance man is responsible for replacing the door glass. They didn't cut your thumb. If you didn't have the proper skills to be replacing the door glass, then you shouldn't have tried to fix it yourself. Unless the LL/maintenance man actually cut your thumb, then they are NOT responsible for the injury you sustained doing your own repairs. If the cut was that severe, you should have sought professional medical treatment much sooner, at which time the glass could have been removed and the healing could have started. The fact that you never saw a doctor until much later is no one's fault but your own.

ecmst12

I didn't think an optometrist could prescribe medications, but I could be wrong. Either way, the glass would have had to work its way out of the injury, but going to a REAL doctor sooner would have made your healing faster and easier.

Adam G

I'm a fan of obscure or contrived theories of liability, but I don't know how you hang this one on the landlord. An agent is not liable for torts committed outside of the scope of the agent's authority, let alone crimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">