• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner of Biting Dog :(

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twinkly1974

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

My 2 year old German Shepherd ran out of the gate of our fenced-in yard toward a woman who was bent down petting our other little terrier and bit her hand.
The skin was lightly punctured, and the police were called with an ambulance that treated her with a sling.
She came over today and said she wanted $2000 for missed work as she would not be able to work for the next 2 weeks. She then gave a friendly reminder as to how expensive lawyers are and said she didn't want to have to get nasty. My husband told her we did not have that kind of money and that he'd be lucky to scrape up $500. She then said $500 would be ok and that maybe she would be able to go into work next week. My husband said we'd be glad to pay her medical bills, to which she replied "I don't think there will be any". I'm not sure what to do, should I call her and request she get medical treatment and cover the bills or just pay the $500 and be done with it?

UPDATE: Both she and the Paramedics (via the Fire Dept.) say she will not be liable for their bill
She has offered no work records, and did not have a doctor sign off on any absences. I am trying to
be nieghborly, but unsure how to proceed.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Don't give her anything unless she can prove that a doctor certified that she was unable to work and she provides pay stubs to prove her income.

fcobarr

make sure you get a full release of liability and future claims before giving anything - and I would follow ecmst's advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">