• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OWS Protestor -- hit a cop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckSoup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? rather not say

Hi forum,

I am a recent vet - cannot find a job so decided to go to a OWS "rally".

Cop comes by and says we need to move so I started moving away. Well, it was not fast enough for the cop (figured I would just trample people I guess). So he pulls out his taser and shoots...one lead hit me the other missed so no zap zap zap. He did this with my back facing him.

So, I turn around to talk to him and he's pulling out another taser (how many do they carry?). So I knock him down, he's out & bleeding. I leave.

Should I turn myself in? I don't think I did anything wrong but self defense ... I was complying with his order and he wanted to just use his gadget I think. Cops don't have the right to just taser people for no good reason. He just tried to on a guy who has better hand to hand combat skills than he has with the expected result.

I don't think it would matter if I turned myself in or not as far as any criminal charges--it was self-defense plain and simple. Is this correct?

swalsh411

It wasn't self defense. You failed to comply with a lawful order.

Now, are you looking to continue to lie to yourself and say it was self defense or do you want to do the right thing? If it's the former then you might as well not do anything and pray you don't get caught.

Furthermore I suspect the officer would have a very different story to tell.

Antigone*

It wasn't self defense. You failed to comply with a lawful order.

Now, are you looking to continue to lie to yourself and say it was self defense or do you want to do the right thing? If it's the former then you might as well not do anything and pray you don't get caught.

Furthermore I suspect the officer would have a very different story to tell.
No matter what he decides to do, he should not speak to the police without an attorney present. He is in some serious trouble.

DuckSoup

To be clear: I was following the cop's order ... moving from the area with a large group of people. He tried to shoot me in the back ... I was no threat to anyone and just moving along.

So, a citizen can NEVER strike a police officer under any circumstance?

In the back. He was a coward (shooting someone walking away from you is evidence enough of that) and when confronted with a citizen who would not allow him to shoot him in the back he lost the contest.

What if I were a woman carrying a child and the cop tased both the woman and child?

So unless YOU were there and know the FACTS don't be making up stuff; just answer the ?:

Would it make any difference regarding a self-defense (although it was the cop who was committing a crime, not me IMHO) if one turns himself in or not?

Antigone*

To be clear: I was following the cop's order ... moving from the area with a large group of people. He tried to shoot me in the back ... I was no threat to anyone and just moving along.

So, a citizen can NEVER strike a police officer under any circumstance?

In the back. He was a coward (shooting someone walking away from you is evidence enough of that) and when confronted with a citizen who would not allow him to shoot him in the back he lost the contest.

What if I were a woman carrying a child and the cop tased both the woman and child?

So unless YOU were there and know the FACTS don't be making up stuff; just answer the ?:

Would it make any difference regarding a self-defense (although it was the cop who was committing a crime, not me IMHO) if one turns himself in or not?
No you were not following the LEO's order. You assaulted him. Don't do anything. If questioned say nothing until you have an attorney present.

DuckSoup

No you were not following the LEO's order. You assaulted him.
I did not assault him, I defended myself - I think there is a distinction here.

I was complying with the cop's order .... moving away and he went to taser me .. maybe he thought it would be funny to watch a 6', 230 lb guy go down.

Have you seen some of the video of cop's behavior at these things?

And yes, I have been tased before for military training purposes. Its not fun. Tear gassed, tased, etc...all part of my training. When one is tased the capacity for self defense is lost. If the cop was willing to shoot people in the back who knows what he is capable of. Best to neutralize him and move on.

I don't think anyone caught me on camera (though there were enough yuppies around with their cell phones out). Some folks saw me and gave me a thumbs up and did not contact me further..we just went on our way.

cyjeff

Allow me to answer the point you seem unable to grasp.

It is NEVER legal under ANY circumstances to strike a police officer.

Was THAT clear enough?

Even if.....

Even if you think it is in self defense. Even if you think you have a really good reason. Even if you think the cop was a poopy head.

You are NEVER allowed to beat an officer unconscious and leave him for dead in the street.

There is SO much more to your story than the lily white version of events you seem to want to cling to. Look at the plus side... its not like there aren't a thousand reporters and folks filming it or anything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, what you did is to assault an officer. You have committed at least one felony, if not more. Again, stop talking about this and only speak with YOUR attorney.

cyjeff

The judge will not agree.

I was complying with the cop's order .... moving away and he went to taser me .. maybe he thought it would be funny to watch a 6', 230 lb guy go down.
Nope. I am guessing that you were intentionally moving slowly, or chanting some slogan against the cops promising violence or both.

Have you seen some of the video of cop's behavior at these things?
Yup. And I don't remember a single instance of a protester being beaten bloody, unconscious and left in the street for dead.

And yes, I have been tased before for military training purposes. Its not fun. Tear gassed, tased, etc...all part of my training. When one is tased the capacity for self defense is lost. If the cop was willing to shoot people in the back who knows what he is capable of. Best to neutralize him and move on.
Again, it is NOT legal under ANY circumstances to "neutralize" ANYONE... much less a cop. What kind of a friggin' nut case are you?

I don't think anyone caught me on camera (though there were enough yuppies around with their cell phones out). Some folks saw me and gave me a thumbs up and did not contact me further..we just went on our way.
Oh goody... all the OTHER law breakers think you are cool. I hope that cop doesn't have any long term injuries from your beating.

DuckSoup

No you were not following the LEO's order. You assaulted him. Don't do anything. If questioned say nothing until you have an attorney present.
I hardly "assaulted" him; I defended myself. But thanks for the advice.

But no one has answered my original query..do you know if it makes a difference?

cyjeff

So a woman who is getting raped by a cop she should do what? According to you ?
This is your second post that says something stupidly extreme to try to make a worse point.

"So, if I see a cop actually cutting up a live school age child, are you saying you shouldn't do anything?"

Believe it or not, if the officer is in uniform, you COULD be charged with an assault on a police officer.

However, there is a vast difference between assaulting an officer in lawful discharge of his duties and one committing a crime.

Just because the law broke up your drum circle and insisted you leave after being warned to leave for three days does NOT provide a legitimate reason for assault.

further, to the OP.... I assure you that the officer's fellows are looking for you VERY hard.... especially if the officer was seriously harmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">