• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pain and suffering from assult? (serious injury)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slothasor

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hey, i am posting this in hopes to get some semi-acurate answers in regards to how much money i should expect from a lawsuit that I will be pursuing here in the near future. Not sure if this will be a civil case against an insurance company or the land owner (who happens to be rather welthy) yet... and have never been through this sort of thing so not sure what to expect.

Ok so the story... I was visiting my girlfriends family for the first time out of town.. for whatever reason one of her brothers hated me (most likely because i am quite a bit younger than her)... while he was intoxicated as well as his friends... he pushed me into a camp fire (un-provoked) and after the fire his friends hit me in the head with a beer bottle (after i hit the person who pushed me out of addrenaline) and stomped me half to death until people pulled them off and i was able to run free... Now of course there are a lot more factors but due to the burns on my hands i want to limit the typing.

So the brother that pushed me is the nephew of the land owner.. and the brothers father rents the propery from the owner. Both land owner and dad were at party earlier in the day and was aware of the underage drinking (the person who assulted me is 20yrs old)

Now as a result of this.. i suffered from a very large 3rd degree burn on my lower back... 3rd degree burns on the palms of both hands, and 2nd degree burns on all of my fingertips (i had to push myself out of the fire as no one came to my assistance). The pain has been *extremly* rough.. even after all the oxycodone and oxycotin i have been perscribed.. it has been 10 days and i am still in extreme pain... went to emergency room 2 days ago for an iv due to horrible pain i could not tollerate. i also lost my job as did my gf due to the fact that they were unwilling to provide the necessary time off to heal (which will take about 1+ month to completely heal.

We are in the process of finding a good attorney right now.. im just curious on what i may expect... as i am hoping i will be provided with a lot of compensation for pain and suffering as this was caused by the land owners nephew... we are unsure if the landowner has insurance or not.. but im asuming he does.

thanks for any advise you may have.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Hey, i am posting this in hopes to get some semi-acurate answers in regards to how much money i should expect from a lawsuit that I will be pursuing here in the near future. Not sure if this will be a civil case against an insurance company or the land owner (who happens to be rather welthy) yet... and have never been through this sort of thing so not sure what to expect.

Ok so the story... I was visiting my girlfriends family for the first time out of town.. for whatever reason one of her brothers hated me (most likely because i am quite a bit younger than her)... while he was intoxicated as well as his friends... he pushed me into a camp fire (un-provoked) and after the fire his friends hit me in the head with a beer bottle (after i hit the person who pushed me out of addrenaline) and stomped me half to death until people pulled them off and i was able to run free... Now of course there are a lot more factors but due to the burns on my hands i want to limit the typing.

So the brother that pushed me is the nephew of the land owner.. and the brothers father rents the propery from the owner. Both land owner and dad were at party earlier in the day and was aware of the underage drinking (the person who assulted me is 20yrs old)

Now as a result of this.. i suffered from a very large 3rd degree burn on my lower back... 3rd degree burns on the palms of both hands, and 2nd degree burns on all of my fingertips (i had to push myself out of the fire as no one came to my assistance). The pain has been *extremly* rough.. even after all the oxycodone and oxycotin i have been perscribed.. it has been 10 days and i am still in extreme pain... went to emergency room 2 days ago for an iv due to horrible pain i could not tollerate. i also lost my job as did my gf due to the fact that they were unwilling to provide the necessary time off to heal (which will take about 1+ month to completely heal.

We are in the process of finding a good attorney right now.. im just curious on what i may expect... as i am hoping i will be provided with a lot of compensation for pain and suffering as this was caused by the land owners nephew... we are unsure if the landowner has insurance or not.. but im asuming he does.

thanks for any advise you may have.
The knowledge of underage drinking by the landowner does not necessarily show negligence. You will have to prove that the landowner had a duty to stop the underage drinking, and that his/her failure to stop the drinking was a legal cause of your injuries.

Unless there is a specific statute that says a landowner must stop underage drinking on his/her land, you will have a hard time proving liability on the part of the landowner.

applecruncher

hopes to get some semi-acurate answers in regards to how much money i should expect from a lawsuit that I will be pursuing here in the near future
No one can even begin to guess. (Assuming you even have a case, and I’m not convinced that you do), each case is different, there are al kinds of variables. I’ve been on jury duty several times, I have friends and relatives who have had personal injury claims, and even had one myself years ago. I usually am surprised at how low or high the final figure is.

Slow yer roll. Simma down. Don’t start shopping for that Mercedes or yacht . . .stop thinking about “how much?” and rubbing your (burned) hands together. You might not get anything. Actually, you type very well. ;)

This is not something to speculate abn dream about on a message board. Consult with a personal injury attorney in person. When you do, suggest you avoid saying things like "the land owner is rather wealthy". You really need to control your salivating. Wealthy people and insurance companies will spend a lot of money to fight something like this.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">