• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person "fell" of my dock while looking to by my boat? Now being sued!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scubayachts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Well here is the scam two people are trying to pull over on my parents.

I was selling my parents boat for them on Craigslist. A guy called my shortly after the posting went up wanting for him and his wife to stop by and take a look.

They where a young couple he was white she was black and they did not have the normal wife husband actions or attributes. First thing that threw me off was the car that they pulled up in and the way they dressed and looked and age did not seem like they could afford the boat in the first place. I'm not trying to discriminate but this is how it came off.

My parents live in a waterfront community and have a large corner lot home on the water with two boats at our dock.

While the woman was climbing down from the back of the boat on to the dock she fell into the water. She panicked and swam over to the floating dock and climbed out. The whole while the guy "husband" just watched and talked casually to my dad. He didn't seem concerned for her well being or anything. She was not injured at all just wet. They took a towel and left. No ambulance or police nothing.

Just yesterday my parents received a letter in the mail saying they where being sued by these people. I have not received the specifics on the exact lawsuit yet.

My question is what do all you legal experts advise? Do they have any grounds to sue?
My parents are good people and are always active and helping people in the community and less fortunate. I'm just trying to do some leg work and help them out as much as possible and not let these scammer's have their way.

Please advise.

justalayman

does it look like this guy can afford to buy your folks' boat:

http://ceoworld.biz/ceo/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/mark-zuckerberg-facebook-ceo.jpg

take note of the high quality of the hoodie sweatshirt he wears. It doesn't exactly exude "hey, I'm worth $20B" but yet, his financial portfolio does.

You know that old book and its cover thing is often not a good means of determining much of anything other than the age of the book.

Your comment about them being an interracial couple is absurd. Would you have the same qualms about this couple:

http://connect.in.com/georg-stanford-brown-tyne-daly/images-georg-stanford-brown-and-wife-tyne-daly-at-her-majestys-theatre-for--1-838385347080.html

that's Tyne Daly and her former husband, Georg Stanford Brown, both very well know actors.

So, if you can get past the superficial prejudices, just what makes you believe they might have gone there with setting up a scam in mind?

Since you haven't even read the suit so how do you know what the claim is? If you don't know what the claim is, how is anybody supposed to judge the validity of the suit?

Purported facts shown in a complaint do not provide a cause of action.
Hi,

never said it did .. I said:

He may have a valid cause of action depending on the facts listed in the complaint.

read it again & do not post back ... now, send me $5 for your english lesson today

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi,

never said it did .. I said:

He may have a valid cause of action depending on the facts listed in the complaint.

read it again & do not post back ... now, send me $5 for your english lesson today
Thanks for clarifying...
Now I'll say: Facts shown in a complaint do not provide a cause of action.

Idiot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">