• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal injury cause by games

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dllzf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

A few friend and my husband play volleyball games together, and my husband's finger was badly injuries. The finger was ripped and the tendon was shown. He was send to emergency room and got 4 stitches. The medical bill is over 2 thousand dollars even after the insurance deduction.

It happened too fast and no sees what exactly happened, but my husband think its because one of the other player tried to block the ball, instead, he hit his finger to hard and his nail ripped my husband's finger. We went through our health insurance and paid the bill. His friend didn't offer anything at all.

My questions are:
1. Should we ask him for some compensation, at least a portion of the bill?
2. Can we sue him to pay if he disagree to pay?
3. Should we sue him? They just play volleyball together, they are not close at all.
4. Everything happened so fast, other player might not have seen what exactly happened. What if the other player doesn't admit he hit my husband and blame my husband instead?
5. It has been a while, if we decide to sue him, will there be a deadline or a time range we need to keep an eye on?

Another random question, not related to this particular case:
6. What if they play the game, someone hit a strike, the ball suppose to hit the ground. Another player trying to save the ball, and tried to run to that area and get it. However, he didn't run to the right place, and instead of saving the ball, the ball hit his face. Will the hitter be responsible for the injury?

I would be deeply appreciate if someone could offer some kindly advice. Thank you all so much.

quincy

A few friend and my husband play volleyball games together, and my husband's finger was badly injuries. The finger was ripped and the tendon was shown. He was send to emergency room and got 4 stitches. The medical bill is over 2 thousand dollars even after the insurance deduction.

It happened too fast and no sees what exactly happened, but my husband think its because one of the other player tried to block the ball, instead, he hit his finger to hard and his nail ripped my husband's finger. We went through our health insurance and paid the bill. His friend didn't offer anything at all.

My questions are:
3. Should we sue him? They just play volleyball together, they are not close at all.
4. Everything happened so fast, other player might not have seen what exactly happened. What if the other player doesn't admit he hit my husband and blame my husband instead?
5. It has been a while, if we decide to sue him, will there be a deadline or a time range we need to keep an eye on?

6. What if they play the game, someone hit a strike, the ball suppose to hit the ground. Another player trying to save the ball, and tried to run to that area and get it. However, he didn't run to the right place, and instead of saving the ball, the ball hit his face. Will the hitter be responsible for the injury?

I would be deeply appreciate if someone could offer some kindly advice. Thank you all so much.
Injuries happen. It does not sound like the other volleyball player is responsible for paying for the injuries sustained by your husband during the game. These are risks people take when they play any sport.

Proserpina

My questions are:

No case. Period.

(agreed, quincy)

swalsh411

You would have to prove he purposely tried to injure him. Hand injuries from blocking are not uncommon in volleyball.

justalayman

the guy that put his face in front of the ball is responsible for any injuries to his face.

tranquility

To reiterate what the others have said all legal like:

http://www.marshalldennehey.com/defense-digest-articles/ohio-reinforces-primary-assumption-risk
http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1247&context=iplj

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">