• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury - Please Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rstead

What is the name of your state? VA

I need some assistance. My daughter was recently scratched by a cat at local Petco store (Front Royal, VA). She received emergency medical treatment as well as follow up care at an eye Dr. as the scratch actually layed open a gash in her eyelid and scratched her eye. After "months" (this happened in August of last year) of not hearing from the "Risk Consulant" and numerous phone calls to the store and unreturned calls from the “Risk Consultant” I finally received notification today of their position. That being that since the cat did not belong to the store but was there for a local animal shelter, that they were not responsible for said accident and would only be willing to pay "My" insurance copay ($80.00). And this only if I signed a release of liability. I think this is a total negligent act and need some help. The medical treatment was about $750 which was mostly paid by my insurance company. I do not feel it is at all fair for PETCO not to be held responsible for this personal injury of my daughter. As well the mental anquish which we all went through that day not knowing the full extent of the injury or trauma to here eye, as my daughter bleed profusely from the injury. Emergency medical personal were also dispatched to help. Can you please help or advise me of where I can go for assistance..

Sincerely,

Ronald L. Stead

as little as I know

I would strongly recommend you seek legal advice from a private attorney. Inside the room with the cats was a Petco employee? That sounds something along the lines of if you were burned at a restaurant, the restaurant could say, the hot water is from the city water, and the electrcity is also supplied by the city, but we will pay for some free coffee. After you read this, call an attorney!

ecmst12

I would suggest that you contact the animal shelter that is responsible for the cat. I doubt they will be found negligent, your daughter chose to play with the cat and you chose to allow it (or you weren't watching her closely and were negligent yourself). But it never hurts to ask.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If there is no long-term damage, then take the $80...maybe you can get them to throw in a free snake or tarantula ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">