• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury too late?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DerekSathre

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

Hello boards!

I have a legal question that I need help on. I want to know if at 4 years of age, that if older kids did damage to my genitals and one of the kids humped me in the butt (skin to skin contact). I don't remember penetration, exactly, but I was knocked out. After the kids was done humping he blew me a kiss and all the other kids started laughing.

I'm not trying to get money here. I just want to know if the right thing to do is report it. I'm afraid that if I come forward, they will attack me. It has been a long time and I just remembered not too long ago because I found something wrong with my genitals.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

Hello boards!

I have a legal question that I need help on. I want to know if at 4 years of age, that if older kids did damage to my genitals and one of the kids humped me in the butt (skin to skin contact). I don't remember penetration, exactly, but I was knocked out. After the kids was done humping he blew me a kiss and all the other kids started laughing.

I'm not trying to get money here. I just want to know if the right thing to do is report it. I'm afraid that if I come forward, they will attack me. It has been a long time and I just remembered not too long ago because I found something wrong with my genitals.
How old are you now? (yes, it matters)
I take it there was no police report or anything? What did your parents do?

Proserpina

I'm 26 now. No report and my parents gave me a bath. Are my parents liable or at fault here?
Let's focus on the actual abuse first.

Minnesota changed the statute last year - the old SOL would have made it too late for you to do anything (24 being the cut-off). Now though you have 3 years after you turned 24, so you don't have much time...but as of right now you can try to do something about it.

But here's the real problem. Sex crimes in general are difficult to successfully prosecute...and it's terrifically hard when the victim is very young and it gets worse because no report was made.

I do think counseling might help you a great deal. It's terrible what you endured, but accepting that it happened, you can't change it, and you're going to move on and stay strong is going to be great medicine for you.

DerekSathre

OK, I take it legal advice is far and over. What should my next step be? Therapy? Could I somehow make the public aware that they have this mentality or can I warn people?

Proserpina

OK, I take it legal advice is far and over. What should my next step be? Therapy? Could I somehow make the public aware that they have this mentality or can I warn people?

No, because they are not guilty of anything unless the court says they are.

Please don't - you run the risk of creating even more stress AND the possibility of a massive civil case against you.

DerekSathre

Thank you.

I called a child abuse hotline, and they told me to report it and gave a phone number to the local sheriff's office. I will not publicly do anything; I was wondering that; I am glad you told me.

The internet is amazing. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">