• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pet malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cainj

Minnesota:
Not sure where to put this, or even if it can be addressed here in these forums but will take a shot.

Pet name: squirt
15yrs old, thinks he's a dog/kitten. Never been outside, never been around other people (he hides on visitors), no contact with any animal. He runs around and attacks his roomy. He likes his belly rubbed, wakes me every morning at 5 to feed him and is a little pissy if I don't head off to bed round midnight - he is very smart, almost kid like. Prob why the pain of loss is so great.

He has had 3 bouts of constipation this year, severe - first one he had to lay down it was so bad, few months later, horrid dry heaves episode (sounded like a small child screaming each time) and then this week, no vomiting and couple attempts at the box. He was drinking a lot, but not much of an appitite and by the next day he wasnt eating. he would still go and try the box, and drink but then lay down - his breathing was scary labored. It was so bad in fact that it made me go take him to the vet. Thats where the prob started.

I know since he has never been in a car, he was already crying - motion of the vehicle was totally forign to him, we soothed him the best we could. But i could tell with him barely breathing, crying, he was gonna go into a panic attack.
Got to the vet, the were very fast, took him to the back, to get oxygen on hime to help him breath and hopes he calms down. apparently he did, so they went to get a blood sample and he got "excited" again, and then died.

I write this a few days later to make sure I am thinking straight and not out of anger. I understand that there are safty measures hospitals have, howver, in the case of our pet, who has never seen anyone but us, I would think that they would let one of us go in (I am the only one that can calm him down when he is afraid), and comfort him. I swear on everything I know, that Squirt died of fright. It must be horrifying to see his family fade behind a closed door and strange people (5 of them - they were very attentive), hoover with object to poke him. His breathing was so bad when we brought him him (and I know what it is like, i have asma and apnea - and getting excited because impossible to breath) - that he must have stopped breathing out of sheer fear!

It is because of that - that is it possible that they are responsible for not taking different actions to help him calm down - allowing one of us to go in and comfort him?. 2hrs prior, even though he was struggling with breathing, he was walking, drinking, (trying) to use the box, sunbathing or laying by me. There was no sign of pain, just had really hard time breathing (as the constipation was pushing on his diaphragm). And the only reason I brought him in was to help him breath better. NO DIE! 14yrs - I know him, he was scared, alone and being sick He panicked.

To most its just "a cat" but to us, he was a family member - we have another cat, but the attachment isnt there. she eats sleeps and poops. Not interactive like Squirt. We feel there was no "caring" just "people doing their job".

I am not good at wording this to find out if there was indeed a chance that could have helped him have a stool and then find out why he was constipated - not go in, panic out of sheer fright then die. What went wrong?

Antigone*

Minnesota:
Not sure where to put this, or even if it can be addressed here in these forums but will take a shot.

Pet name: squirt
15yrs old, thinks he's a dog/kitten. Never been outside, never been around other people (he hides on visitors), no contact with any animal. He runs around and attacks his roomy. He likes his belly rubbed, wakes me every morning at 5 to feed him and is a little pissy if I don't head off to bed round midnight - he is very smart, almost kid like. Prob why the pain of loss is so great.

He has had 3 bouts of constipation this year, severe - first one he had to lay down it was so bad, few months later, horrid dry heaves episode (sounded like a small child screaming each time) and then this week, no vomiting and couple attempts at the box. He was drinking a lot, but not much of an appitite and by the next day he wasnt eating. he would still go and try the box, and drink but then lay down - his breathing was scary labored. It was so bad in fact that it made me go take him to the vet. Thats where the prob started.

I know since he has never been in a car, he was already crying - motion of the vehicle was totally forign to him, we soothed him the best we could. But i could tell with him barely breathing, crying, he was gonna go into a panic attack.
Got to the vet, the were very fast, took him to the back, to get oxygen on hime to help him breath and hopes he calms down. apparently he did, so they went to get a blood sample and he got "excited" again, and then died.

I write this a few days later to make sure I am thinking straight and not out of anger. I understand that there are safty measures hospitals have, howver, in the case of our pet, who has never seen anyone but us, I would think that they would let one of us go in (I am the only one that can calm him down when he is afraid), and comfort him. I swear on everything I know, that Squirt died of fright. It must be horrifying to see his family fade behind a closed door and strange people (5 of them - they were very attentive), hoover with object to poke him. His breathing was so bad when we brought him him (and I know what it is like, i have asma and apnea - and getting excited because impossible to breath) - that he must have stopped breathing out of sheer fear!

It is because of that - that is it possible that they are responsible for not taking different actions to help him calm down - allowing one of us to go in and comfort him?. 2hrs prior, even though he was struggling with breathing, he was walking, drinking, (trying) to use the box, sunbathing or laying by me. There was no sign of pain, just had really hard time breathing (as the constipation was pushing on his diaphragm). And the only reason I brought him in was to help him breath better. NO DIE! 14yrs - I know him, he was scared, alone and being sick He panicked.

To most its just "a cat" but to us, he was a family member - we have another cat, but the attachment isnt there. she eats sleeps and poops. Not interactive like Squirt. We feel there was no "caring" just "people doing their job".

I am not good at wording this to find out if there was indeed a chance that could have helped him have a stool and then find out why he was constipated - not go in, panic out of sheer fright then die. What went wrong?

I'm sorry for your loss, but your pet was 15. He lived a long happy life. You have no case.

swalsh411

Even if it was their fault and they did not follow the standard of care the best you could hope for was a free replacement cat and not being charged for the visit.

Animals are property. Legally, it's no different than if you took your laptop to Best Buy and the geek squad guy spilled soda on it.

Also, if you decide to get another pet, try to socialize it a little better.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have been owned by a number of cats. I completely and totally understand your pain.

However, your belief that the cat would not have died if a member of his family had been allowed to stay with him to reduce his fear, is not legal proof of malpractice. And even if it were, although to the family they are a family member, under the law pets are considered property; the most you would be able to recover is the cost to adopt another cat.

15 is a good long life for a cat. It's entirely possible, if his breathing were that bad, that he would have passed on even if you'd been able to stay with him. I know it hurts and I know the immediate reaction is to try to place blame, but there is no legal case here.

I'm sorry for the loss of your Squirt.

cainj

Thank you all for your comments. I forgot that pets are property and the "laptop" analogy hit perfect.

The one that stated to help them "socialize better", I am sorry but that's ****** (and I"ll leave it there). I have two other cats 19 and 21 and they run around and play like kittens (one has a weak bladder), just the 14yr old was more "intimate" so to speak - he was a runt so I spent more time with him. Strong and healthy the other two are and very social - just not to strangers, this is because they do not interact with others, don't go outside and with the exception of Moving once - never been in a car. And to the day - have not seen a vet (hey were neutered when they were younger that was the only time ).

But the replies helped me understand that -by law, they are considered "property". So maybe a refund - since they did not get the results I went in for. We went in for constipation, and a check up to find out why this is happening (we know the constipation was what made him breath badly so bad, that he was the first pet to ever see a vet - that's how scary it was,bear in mind, 30min earlier he was drinking water, laying in the sun and laying in his bed - just very horrible breathing), and instead, we paid for some oxygen and a dead cat.

So to use the laptop analogy: I take my laptop in to clean viruses, but it has a hard time powering up (lets say because there is a knack to the power button) and they hit the power button wrong, now the laptop is dead and i need a new one: why would they charge me for repairs? It was working fine for me - just had a virus. i can power it up ok. they just didn't take the time to ask me if there is a trick to it - ? Why not have me come in and show them?

Does that analogy work?

Anyways, I think I understand now. If this reply is "edgy" its just the pain.

Cheers!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you all for your comments. I forgot that pets are property and the "laptop" analogy hit perfect.

The one that stated to help them "socialize better", I am sorry but that's ****** (and I"ll leave it there). I have two other cats 19 and 21 and they run around and play like kittens (one has a weak bladder), just the 14yr old was more "intimate" so to speak - he was a runt so I spent more time with him. Strong and healthy the other two are and very social - just not to strangers, this is because they do not interact with others, don't go outside and with the exception of Moving once - never been in a car. And to the day - have not seen a vet (hey were neutered when they were younger that was the only time ).

But the replies helped me understand that -by law, they are considered "property". So maybe a refund - since they did not get the results I went in for. We went in for constipation, and a check up to find out why this is happening (we know the constipation was what made him breath badly so bad, that he was the first pet to ever see a vet - that's how scary it was,bear in mind, 30min earlier he was drinking water, laying in the sun and laying in his bed - just very horrible breathing), and instead, we paid for some oxygen and a dead cat.

So to use the laptop analogy: I take my laptop in to clean viruses, but it has a hard time powering up (lets say because there is a knack to the power button) and they hit the power button wrong, now the laptop is dead and i need a new one: why would they charge me for repairs? It was working fine for me - just had a virus. i can power it up ok. they just didn't take the time to ask me if there is a trick to it - ? Why not have me come in and show them?

Does that analogy work?

Cheers!
If you take your old car to the mechanic for an oil change and it turns out that your transmission was bad and would cost more to repair than the car is worth, wouldn't you still owe for the oil change?

Your cat died because it was old. That's the bottom line.

Indiana Filer

You don't take your pets, especially senior pets, to the vet for regular care? That's negligent!

Your cat should have been seeing the vet regularly throughout his life. I consider my dogs to be part of the family and we therefore have established a relationship with the vet so that they are healthy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I had two cats that outlived yours. One died after having a stroke at the age of 18; another, also 18, died a few months later of kidney failure.

A third died at the age of 15 of heart failure.

But the fourth died of kidney disease at the age of 6. Not because of anything the vet did wrong; because some cats, particularly male cats, get kidney disease. It's a genetic fluke.

The average lifespan of a cat is between 13 and 17 years. You have provided no evidence at all that the vet was in any way responsible for Squirt's death. I really do understand the pain of losing your "furry baby" but you just do not have a case here.

Dave1952

I'm sorry for your loss. Nothing in your post suggested to me that the vet (and his techs) did anything wrong in this emergency situation. They deserve to be paid for their work.

Just Blue

Does that analogy work?

Cheers!
As I type this post my 11 year old is with her Aunt and Uncle at Tuffs Vet Hospital putting lil'blues favorite cat to sleep. Spot is a GOOD boy! But he is 16 and sick. It is just his time to pass. Lil'blue will be there with him.

My boy Rascal passed at 3. In my arms. I had a necropsy (sp?) done on this cat that had regular Vet visits done. It was just a bad heart. No way to know this was an issue for my boy.

We love our pets and mourn their passing. But don't blame others for nature.

Blessing to Squirt and to you as well.

CJane

You don't take your pets, especially senior pets, to the vet for regular care? That's negligent!

Your cat should have been seeing the vet regularly throughout his life. I consider my dogs to be part of the family and we therefore have established a relationship with the vet so that they are healthy.
This. Exactly.

It's the doctor's fault the cat died - and the owner, who denied the cat regular checkups, denied the cat required vaccinations, denied the cat any health screenings, and after OTHER bouts with "constipation", STILL refused to provide medical care until the cat couldn't even breathe... yeah, he's completely innocent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">