• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Physically assaulted by President of company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pogo_80

What is the name of your state? IL

To make matters worse, he is also my brother. We own a business together.

After confronting my brother about his cocaine problem he physically assaulted me, destroyed my work computer and locked me out of all business files and software. I've been sitting in a chair doing nothing for the last couple months.

He's cut my salary by 200k per year.
We own property together under an LLC and he's no longer making distributions from rents. I found out a couple days ago he stiffed me out of 50k from the LLC. I ended up in the emergency room from an anxiety attack.

My lawyer can't seem to get anything done in terms of a buyout. My brother offered to buy me out, over 20 years with no loan security. That is not an option for me and my lawyer said the offer is ridiculous.

He's also told employees he wants me out, there's no place for a woman in this business and he's eliminating all the women in his life.

He's causing severe emotional distress and financial hardships. I can barely pay my legal fees anymore. I've had to take out a loan to pay the last few invoices. Of course, he's using company money to pay his own legal fees.

Is it possible I can sue him and not be forced to sell my shares in the company?

Thank you so much for any advice.

HomeGuru

pogo_80 said:
What is the name of your state? IL

To make matters worse, he is also my brother. We own a business together.

After confronting my brother about his cocaine problem he physically assaulted me, destroyed my work computer and locked me out of all business files and software. I've been sitting in a chair doing nothing for the last couple months.

He's cut my salary by 200k per year.
We own property together under an LLC and he's no longer making distributions from rents. I found out a couple days ago he stiffed me out of 50k from the LLC. I ended up in the emergency room from an anxiety attack.

My lawyer can't seem to get anything done in terms of a buyout. My brother offered to buy me out, over 20 years with no loan security. That is not an option for me and my lawyer said the offer is ridiculous.

He's also told employees he wants me out, there's no place for a woman in this business and he's eliminating all the women in his life.

He's causing severe emotional distress and financial hardships. I can barely pay my legal fees anymore. I've had to take out a loan to pay the last few invoices. Of course, he's using company money to pay his own legal fees.

Is it possible I can sue him and not be forced to sell my shares in the company?

Thank you so much for any advice.
**A: you have incurred legal fees and have not yet sued him? What are you waiting for?

pogo_80

HomeGuru said:
**A: you have incurred legal fees and have not yet sued him? What are you waiting for?
Yes. The attorneys wanted to mediate first. I thought it was a good idea instead of spending a couple years going to trial. Now it looks like I don't have any other option.

Is this something I can sue under common law? Would an attorney take this on a contigency?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">