• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pitbull dog bite bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustCallMeJen

California (San Bernardino County)

Hi

A couple of months ago my neighbors pitbull dog bit me. It was put down 2 days later as it had just come out of quarantine for biting a girl the week prior to me. (I presumed it was current on its rabies shot, at any rate I didn't get rabies.) I went to Urgent Care instead of the hospital ER as it's far less expensive. I went twice as my wound got infected. I paid one of the bills but just cannot afford the other one.

Today I noticed that there is a for rent sign on their house. I don't even have their names as they refused to speak to me saying they didn't know any English. Should I try and find the owner of the house and ask them about their homeowner insurance and/or the renters? I feel they should pay the medical bills, including the one I already paid.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your thoughts and consideration on my situation, it is very much appreciated.
-Jenn

Last edited:

tammy8

Was there a police report?

You would have to go after the owners of the dog aka the renters. I was bitten by a tenant of a home dog 3 yrs ago aka the long term boyfriend and had to fight tooth and nail to get my medical bills paid because the *homeowner* who lived there with boyfriend claimed the dog didn't belong to her. I only knew the insurance company because I work in insurance and knew where to snoop to find the insurer.

Do you know the other person who was bit? Ask them how their medical bills were paid.

One thing the adjuster that handled my claim did tell me after the fact was that only because of the pictures and documentation did my claim not drag out another year or so. Keep everything no matter how unimportant you think it might be if you can find the insurance company.

If you can't find an insurance company you will have to sue the residents who owned the dog.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">