• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police officer imposonation on halloween?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjmcanally27

I'm wearing a very on the T police uniform today for Halloween I'll have everything except a flashlight and gun, I have Tucson police arm patches along with the seargant patch... have a badge that says law enforcement officer and was wondering if I'll be arrested for impersonation of a officer I don't want a felony and I'm scared about it but I hear I can't unless I'm actually telling people I'm a cop and or acting like one ...
Tucson az

quincy

I'm wearing a very on the T police uniform today for Halloween I'll have everything except a flashlight and gun, I have Tucson police arm patches along with the seargant patch... have a badge that says law enforcement officer and was wondering if I'll be arrested for impersonation of a officer I don't want a felony and I'm scared about it but I hear I can't unless I'm actually telling people I'm a cop and or acting like one ...
Tucson az
How old are you? If you are 7-years-old, you should not have a problem.

tranquility

The official FA answer is at https://ask-a-lawyer.freeadvice.com/law-questions/wearing-a-police-uniform--52608.htm.
No, he will not be arrested for impersonating a police officer. In order for that to happen he would have to have intent to impersonate an officer, even if his costume was absolutely perfect in every way. His explanation is right on the mark: as long as he never claims to be or acts like a police officer he is fine. I would, though, consider re-thinking the plastic gun, especially if it looks real. I would be concerned that someone may think it was real, even on Halloween. You do not want to make anyone trigger happy. Maybe a multi-colored cheap looking plastic one? Better to be safe than sorry. Have fun. Good luck.
The statute (in part) for AZ is at http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/02411.htm.
(Emphasis mine)
13-2411. Impersonating a peace officer; classification; definition

A. A person commits impersonating a peace officer if the person, without lawful authority, pretends to be a peace officer and engages in any conduct with the intent to induce another to submit to the person's pretended authority or to rely on the person's pretended acts.

B. It is not a defense to a prosecution under this section that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact exist or that the law enforcement agency the person pretended to represent did not in fact possess the authority claimed for it.

C. Impersonating a peace officer is a class 6 felony, except that impersonating a peace officer during the commission of any of the following felonies is a class 4 felony:
I suspect the OP can safely navigate the waters of the law--until the funsuckers come out.

justalayman

The official FA answer is at https://ask-a-lawyer.freeadvice.com/law-questions/wearing-a-police-uniform--52608.htm.

The statute (in part) for AZ is at http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/02411.htm.
(Emphasis mine)

I suspect the OP can safely navigate the waters of the law--until the funsuckers come out.
so that means he can't go into a Dunkin' Donuts?

latigo

so that means he can't go into a Dunkin' Donuts?
You aren't suggesting that a cop is but a donut consuming organism . . . or are you?

Anyhow, there are scores of sites offering boy's Halloween police costumes; some featuring badge replicas and billy clubs. (I presume that they don’t come in adult sizes.)

[SUP]Skinny police detectives are as rare as fat marathon runners. Example, check out "The first 48-hours" and see how many you can find.[/SUP]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">