• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police shooting.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheAlmightyDada

Hello,

I am an Author, and I’m not even based in the US. So there will be many more questions than answers from me. I hope that's OK. I know some forums frown on that behaviour.
With that being said… Here is my first Question:

The Character in my book is a female,
If her Husband was shot dead by a police officer, rightfully or wrongfully. Would that police officers name become public?

Many thanks,

TAD

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A lot of people won't answer hypotheticals here, but I'm an author too so I'm sympathetic. However, in the US, I don't think there's really one answer to that question. There would be no law prohibiting that the officer be named, and ultimately it would be public information, but it's possible that it might be withheld during an investigation. Americans are nosy people and don't generally have much in the way of privacy laws.

TheAlmightyDada

Thank you very much, just out of interest… why won’t people answer “hypotheticals”?

Also, I couldn’t see it at a glance, but is there a part of the forum where I can just get to know some of the members a little better? That way I won’t feel like such a leech the whole time, and maybe people may warm to me :)

TAD

tranquility

Hello,

I am an Author, and I’m not even based in the US. So there will be many more questions than answers from me. I hope that's OK. I know some forums frown on that behaviour.

If her Husband was shot dead by a police officer, rightfully or wrongfully. Would that police officers name become public?

Many thanks,

TAD
If the officer is never charged with a crime, in CA, it is uncertain. There is current litigation over the release of police names in shooting incidents pitting police unions and the press.

Just Blue

Thank you very much, just out of interest… why won’t people answer “hypotheticals”?

Also, I couldn’t see it at a glance, but is there a part of the forum where I can just get to know some of the members a little better? That way I won’t feel like such a leech the whole time, and maybe people may warm to me :)

TAD
sigh...

This site is for people who NEED assistance. With REAL LIFE problems. Not homework. Not research. That is why we volunteer...

We do not volunteer to assist writers and save them a buck or pound in cost for the book they are attempting.

And we do not have a "part if the forum" for getting to know us better and allow us to "warm to you". Many of us have been here for years and THAT is how we "warm" to each other. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...why won’t people answer “hypotheticals”?
Because people tend the change the "facts" in a hypothetical until they get the answer they want. It can go on forever and most of the volunteers on this site prefer to spend their time giving advice to folks with real problems.

CdwJava

Hello,

Many thanks,

TAD
While the name of the officer might not immediately be made public, the status of public records laws will virtually guarantee that the name WILL become public eventually. And if any civil action is commenced, the name WILL become a matter of public record.

I cannot think of any legal reason why an agency would be able to lawfully withhold that information for very long. They might be able to withhold it for a short time while they commence their investigation, or, if they feel the officer might be subject to retaliation, but it would not be for too long.

Silverplum

Hello,

Many thanks,

TAD
Find a legal source in your country. They exist: Google them up.

TheAlmightyDada

Thank you everyone for your responses,
Sorry if my hypothetical question annoyed anyone…
If it helps, I have no follow up questions, you guys answered perfectly and I have changed my story accordingly.
I will stick around, if you guys don’t mind. Just know that if you don’t want to answer me, I don’t mind.. I understand there are people on here that need real life help.

Many thanks
TAD

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
TAD - While I do not like to answer questions from people who are trying to try out their stories before going in front of a judge, or such situations, and I will absolutely not answer homework questions under any circumstances, I am willing to assist an author with research. Note the word, assist. I will not do it for you. But I will point you in the right direction occasionally. I think there are a few others who will as well.

quincy

TheAlmightyDada, as a writer you are probably also a reader.

There is an older series of books designed specifically for writers of crime stories called the "HowDunIt Series." These books can be a good reference for laypersons interested in making their fictional crime stories more realistic. They are published by Writers Digest. Although the internet can be a source for quick and easy answers, you might want to check your local library or a bookstore to see if these books are still available.

A famous Michigan author of crime stories once told me that he made his books realistic by becoming friends with several police detectives, who not only allowed him to ask questions about procedure, they also allowed him to accompany them on police runs - much like (but not to the extent that) "Castle" does on TV. For a serious writer, having this type of access can be invaluable.

As a note: Someone in one country will have a difficult time writing realistically about crime in another country if they have never spent time in that country. It is often best to center your stories in the geographic areas of the world you are most familiar with, so you can add local color.

I am of the same mind as cbg, by the way. I don't mind assisting with questions from writers or from those who are merely curious about the law. I will not answer homework questions (unless I do so by mistake) and I will only answer hypotheticals if they somehow intrigue me. :)

CdwJava

Like the others, I generally do not do hypotheticals (though, admittedly, I often get stuck on that merry-go-round from time to time). But yours was a relatively straight forward general question with a relatively easy answer.

And I would check out Quincy's suggestion. I have never heard of these books before, but a quick internet search and some reviews has found them and they are but one in a series of books that give guidance to writers on all matters of the justice system including crime scene investigations. Really neat looking stuff! Now, if only I was writing a crime novel ...

tranquility

Like the others, I generally do not do hypotheticals (though, admittedly, I often get stuck on that merry-go-round from time to time). But yours was a relatively straight forward general question with a relatively easy answer.

And I would check out Quincy's suggestion. I have never heard of these books before, but a quick internet search and some reviews has found them and they are but one in a series of books that give guidance to writers on all matters of the justice system including crime scene investigations. Really neat looking stuff! Now, if only I was writing a crime novel ...
Something like a cop in Mexico who witnesses a kidnapping through some technical means that is the specialty of some department of a state university and becomes so obsessed with solving the crime he decides to get a doctorate and tries to get on the "inside" of what is discovered to be a huge conspiracy. What happens next will astonish you...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">