• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant slipped down stairs required surgery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I am currently renting a trailer from a property management company that has several multi family properties. The place i live in has several trailers. I have been living here just over a year. I was leaving my trailer with my daughter and husband to run errands on a rainy day. When i stepped out on the first step i slipped and fell down the steps. It was obvious my ankle was broke. I laid on the ground waiting for an ambulance to arrive and transport me to the hospital where the had to put my ankle back in place. They did x-rays and a ct scan, found out my ankle was broke in 3 places and i needed surgery. 2 days before surgery i found out i pregnant. I was pregnant when i fell. I had a spinal block instead of general anesthesia because of being pregnant. I was also given meds to fall asleep during surgery. I had 3 plates and not sure how many screws. I was on morphine and percocet while in recovery for 3 days two nights at the hospital. I am just now starting to walk. I am still unsure of the outcome of my child. I wont know until the baby is born in April. I am worried about the health of my baby. I have to big scars on my ankle from surgery.
The stairs i fell on were wooden. The run of the steps seems worn down and no matter the type of shoe you wear they are slippery when wet. I was not aware of how slick until i fell. However in the year i had been here there was no inspection done on the stairs. I have been trying to obtain a lawyer but no one will take my case. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have no insurance so i can not afford the $32,000. in medical bills i have. Any advice wold be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

OHRoadwarrior

Wood has been an acceptable product used for the manufacture of steps for centuries. I suggest you go in person, with proof of income to the hospital business office and see if you financially qualify for state medical care or to have the hospital fees waived. Apparently, you will need welfare to pay for the childs birth also.

Angep

Wood has been an acceptable product used for the manufacture of steps for centuries. I suggest you go in person, with proof of income to the hospital business office and see if you financially qualify for state medical care or to have the hospital fees waived. Apparently, you will need welfare to pay for the childs birth also.
I understand there are wooded steps in this world. In fact all over. But i also know it is up to the property to upkeep the stairs as well as the entire property. As far as state medical care I dont qualify for that because my "resources" are more than the $500.a month limit. And welfare is not what will pay for a childs birth. Its a different form of medicaid which pays for all medical bills in regards to the pregnancy and will pay for the childs health for a year after birth. Thank you for trying though.

tranquility

Since you have great damages, it is worth your time to see an attorney. But, there is little you've said that indicates responsibility on the part of the landlord.

OHRoadwarrior

I understand there are wooded steps in this world. In fact all over. But i also know it is up to the property to upkeep the stairs as well as the entire property. As far as state medical care I dont qualify for that because my "resources" are more than the $500.a month limit. And welfare is not what will pay for a childs birth. Its a different form of medicaid which pays for all medical bills in regards to the pregnancy and will pay for the childs health for a year after birth. Thank you for trying though.
You have not indicated there is any defect in the stairs. Only that you are clumsy and were not exercising due caution.

Angep

You have not indicated there is any defect in the stairs. Only that you are clumsy and were not exercising due caution.
I am no carpenter, but i have been on plenty of wooden steps in my lifetime. Even ones with snow and ice. And have never had my foot slip out from underneath me the minute place it on the step. Again i am no expert but i know that the run of the stairs which is the place you put your feet when walking down them, is slick like ice. Im not sure of the building codes where i live, in fact i should probably find out what they are. The steps are unfinished, and have no traction. All the did was take 4x4s and make home made steps. They are not even attached to the trailer. They have a railing on one side and actually move a little when you step on them. So If placing my foot on a step makes ME clumsy then aren't we all?

ecmst12

It was an accident. It was not due to any negligence on the part of the landlord. A lawyer will usually not come right out and say that you don't have a case, but I promise you, with the severity of your injuries and the pregnancy and everything else, if there was ANY chance that the landlord was liable, lawyers would be punching each other in the face to get to you. Their excuses are just that. It does not appear that you are entitled to any money from anyone else for your accident, even to pay the medical bills. You might want to think about bankruptcy.

Angep

It was an accident. It was not due to any negligence on the part of the landlord. A lawyer will usually not come right out and say that you don't have a case, but I promise you, with the severity of your injuries and the pregnancy and everything else, if there was ANY chance that the landlord was liable, lawyers would be punching each other in the face to get to you. Their excuses are just that. It does not appear that you are entitled to any money from anyone else for your accident, even to pay the medical bills. You might want to think about bankruptcy.
First of all thank you for your thoughtful and non critical post. Second do you think if i find out what the building codes are and in fact they are in violation that it would help my case at all? I have thought about bankruptcy already and really would like to be sure first before i go that route. Also i have no clue why i cant even get a meeting with a lawyer to discus the case and see if i even have one.

justalayman

The steps are unfinished, and have no traction. All the did was take 4x4s and make home made steps.
I have a set of stairs built basically the same and have never slipped on them. Haven't you noticed all the wood decks people have been putting up for the last couple of decades? Finished or not finished; about the same as far as slippery.

Unless you can find something about your steps that is out of the ordinary that makes them dangerous AND the landlord knew about it AND failed to repair the problem, this is pretty much all on you.

justalayman

Also i have no clue why i cant even get a meeting with a lawyer to discus the case and see if i even have one.
because either the lawyer you have called really are not accepting slip and fall cases or you really do not have a winnable case.

OHRoadwarrior

I am no carpenter, but i have been on plenty of wooden steps in my lifetime. Even ones with snow and ice. And have never had my foot slip out from underneath me the minute place it on the step. Again i am no expert but i know that the run of the stairs which is the place you put your feet when walking down them, is slick like ice. Im not sure of the building codes where i live, in fact i should probably find out what they are. The steps are unfinished, and have no traction. All the did was take 4x4s and make home made steps. They are not even attached to the trailer. They have a railing on one side and actually move a little when you step on them. So If placing my foot on a step makes ME clumsy then aren't we all?
Yes, in fact at one time or another we all are. I have a damaged tendon from slipping on one of my steps. It has been screwed up for about 12 years now.

I also suggest you read the lease you signed for the trailer park, it will likely specifically address this type of issue.

justalayman

the one place I would call is the county, city, or whatever the government entity is and ask them about the building codes.

Did you ever think to clean those wooden steps? Some Clorox CleanUp and a good broom will take care of any slipperiness. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">